Back to Active Questions

Do cats like to be held and kissed?
Pets / 10:55 AM - Tuesday August 27, 2013

Do cats like to be held and kissed?

Some do more than others. My cat likes to be held and kissed for up to 2 minutes only. Anything longer than that, and she'll squirm, wiggle and run away. They have limits on personal space, these cats. :)

It's pretty funny.

- Response by Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

My cat hates it. In fact its the only way I get him to go away is by holding him.

- Response by Female, 36-45

Some do - some don't. I have one who loves it, one who tolerates it, and one who hates it. I think if you get them used to it when they are kittens, they're more likely to allow you to do it.

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

Some do. It all depends on the temperament of the cat. Breed type can play a big part too.

- Response by msadvise, Female, 46-55, Transportation

I used to think they all did but I must have been lucky or spoiled with most of my pets. The ones I have now definitely do not...unless THEY decide and come up to you.

- Response by jezmebaby, A Grandmother, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

It's highly dependent on the cat and how they are trained. My cat will jump up on the counter and say hello with a nose kiss the way cats will. Mostly, she'll let me pick her up and cuddle her unless it's dinner time.

Peace.

- Response by kravjar666, A Father Figure, Male, 46-55, Los Angeles, Consulting

domesticated cats do. My cats loves it and so do I.

- Response by cinderella2006, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Mine do and my friends cats to do to when I go visit him and his cats to.

- Response by pawsbuddy04, Female, 46-55

My cat is affectionate. She will ask to come in just to visit, beg to be picked up and fondled and then will jump down and ask to go back out. She was just up here twice looking for some cuddling and then went on her way.
All the dogs I've ever had liked to be close to where ever I was at the moment and they liked to be brushed and petted but they didn't seem to want or need kissing.
I've never kissed any of my animals.

- Response by joybird, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

None of the cats I've had ever really liked to be held and kissed. They would tolerate a little touching, but that's it. Which was fine with me, as I don't really like needy pets.

- Response by betterbird, A Creative, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Administrative

most cats do like to be held..but kissed...that is another thing.

- Response by flwoodpecker, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

...oh yes!

...and they LOVE to be held real up close to your face while dipping their tails into really hot water....try it!!

- Response by nameacarl, A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Oostende, Self-Employed