Back to Active Questions

Boyfriend moving in and I don't know how to devide everything up.
Random & Fun / 12:34 PM - Wednesday July 10, 2013

Well let me start off by saying that I prob make twice what he makes. So I was thinking of me paying the mortgage ($1000) and having him pay for all the bills. So, the bills are roughly about $500/month. I had roommates before this house, one single girl who I charged $700 and one roommate with a daughter and charged her $800. Of course I'm not trying to make any money off my bf and I know he has a lot of his own bills, so I was thinking $600, $300 every 2 weeks.

Is that fair? Now, he's renting out his house and will be making a profit of $300 every month, so its not like he's going to be broke. We'll do food and other things together, altho I'll prob ending paying for all that (I don't mind). I want him to be able to save some money every month and pay off his bills. I don't think going 50/50 on everything is fair either because I do make more than him. Any advice?

Don't sound bad, sit down with him and negotiate. He deserves some input about what he feels is fair or what he can afford.

- Response by Female, 29-35

So, you're going to be living in your house together, while his house is rented out to someone else.

You didn't say whether he has a mortgage on his house, but I'm going to assume that he does, just like you do on yours.

What I would do if I were you is this:

You pay the mortgage, and taxes on your house, including any costs of home repair when they come around (which we all know they do from time to time).

He pays the mortgage and expenses on his house, and keeps any money he gets from renting it out (he may not always have a reliable tenant, so don't assume he's always going to have that extra income).

You split the bills and expenses that come from you living together, including food shopping, cable/internet, electricity, and the phone bill if you share a home phone.

You each pay your own cell phone bill unless you have a family plan, in which case you split it in half.

You can decide between the two of you who is actually going to send the money out to pay the bills that you split.

Having a clear discussion before you start living together will make everything much better later on.

Good luck!

- Response by newyorker80, Female, 29-35

I'm not sure where you live but in Texas we have "separate property" and if you want to keep your separate property then you don't mix your money together. If this is the case where you are at I would not allow him to contribute to your mortgage. You want to make sure you keep your house because I'm sure you worked hard for it and who knows what the future will hold.

I say you pay your mortgage, he pays his mortgage, you pay your bills, he pays his bills and you split the household bills.

- Response by kdtxchic30, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I feel its fair let him pay for food and what he can of some of your bills.

- Response by pawsbuddy04, Female, 46-55

50/50

Trust me anything less will be emasculating and parental.
It will also end up building resentment and ending the relationship.
How much money you make or makes it not part of the conversation when you are simply living together.
Good luck.

- Response by siouxzen, Female, Who Cares?, Guadalajara, Self-Employed

My advice? You're both are going to be living together. You both should split the costs down the middle on everything. The fact that you make more money shouldn't matter. It's great that you're being supportive of his situation.

But, as great of intentions you have, it could lead to confusion and resentment down the road. You two are not married. So, there's no reason to not figure in his own home ownership and rent he's getting into the equation.

I hope if you agree to do this, you don't end up being taken advantage of. Good luck.

- Response by thelovedovefor1, Female, 46-55, Atlanta, Who Cares?

Charge him rent, on a tenancy at will sort of agreement (the type of rental contract that can be broken by either party with a month or twi's notice. If you don't, things could eventually get into very murkey legal waters if you two ever break up. If you live in a common law marriage state, living together for a long time could entitle him to half your home. If not, the prolonged residence, excluding an alternate contract, could give him the legal right to stay in your home until a long and costly eviction process is completed, all the while with you being forced to live with him and him not paying rent.

Unless you have a lot of money, and your home is far more expensive than his, I wouldn't take on the responsibility of paying so much more of the housing and food costs. It makes it seem like you're being taken advantage of.

- Response by milla, Female, 36-45

I think that is very fair. It should work out well.

- Response by frenchkiss49, Female, 56-65, Tampa, Who Cares?