Back to Active Questions

Why do people announce the birth followed by the weight of the baby?
Random & Fun / 9:02 PM - Wednesday May 22, 2013

Today I just came to the realization that it has been that way.. Why is the weight so meaningful?

I don't have children....so that's why I ask.

- Asked by bbperfume, Female, 29-35, Retail

its a new born

all you have is weight length eye color and health

its not like they can say " welcome sara leiahanne jones,she has declared her college major to be journalism and will be the prom queen in 17 years"

- Response by galdeen, Female, 36-45, Administrative

I never really understood it myself, and I had three babies!

The human animal likes to compare, so that may be part of it---but mostly I think it's because everyone likes to hear that the baby is healthy, and weight is a significant indicator. Plump newborns usually do better, thrive sooner. Can sleep for longer periods of time because they have a bit of body mass, things of that sort.

- Response by feralberyl, Female, 56-65, Columbus, Other Profession

I don't have kids either but I would assume part of it has to do with the fact that if you were considering buying the baby an outfit as a birth present, you'd want to buy the correct size. If the baby was a big baby and weighted 10 pounds, you wouldn't want to buy an outfit for a 5 pound baby.

- Response by diznykd, Female, 46-55, Lawyer

If you don't have children how can you even answer this post? It would mean nothing to you. The birth weight is the second thing you know about you new born baby...The first is its sex. What else can you tell anyone about the baby you just brought into this world??? It is something that identifies this particular baby to you and those interested in it.

- Response by barbb, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

Medically speaking the weight follows because it signifies the baby is Healthy and Well. People indentify with a new borns gender, weight and the day and time the child was born..the last thing they always ask is the name of the baby. ;.]

- Response by cjs1991, Female, 46-55, Teaching

To show how healthy the baby is.

- Response by Female, 22-25