Back to Active Questions

Why do I always feel so lonely?
Weight & Wellness / 9:40 PM - Thursday March 14, 2013

Why do I always feel so lonely?

I have a family of my own, extended family that I keep I'm touch with, some friends though not so close.

Ask yourself this:

Does anyone in this family ever come to your home to see you...

...do they ever call you...

...do you find that you are always available for them, and that if you need them, they suddenly become...

...the *(busy* people ?

If so, this is because they don;t want to see you unless it is on their terms. They are rigid, selfish, don;t care much about you, or they just don;t have anything in common with you, or...I almost forgot...

...there isn't anything in *it* for them.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

Could it be that you're depressed? Persons suffering from depression can feel alone even when surrounded by people who love and care about them.

- Response by prettismile, Female, 26-28, Artist / Musician / Writer

You might be depressed. You can have all of the people in the world around you and still feel lonely. Maybe, there is an underlying reason for feeling lonely. You might need to seek some counseling for this. Good luck.

- Response by thelovedovefor1, Female, 46-55, Atlanta, Who Cares?

You probably don't always feel lonely, but you are now. Are you going through a divorce? Break up? Death? Are you angry about something that you have to keep inside? Look back on your life. Friends that you aren't close to arent friends, extended family isn't family...it's Xmas cards, who is your own famy? Look to them, you don't have a family of your own if you cant. Well sometimes we're lonely for the mere fact that we are all alone and not in denial about it.

- Response by afirecracker, Female, 29-35

There is no more lonely feeling than the feeling of being alone whilst in the middle of a crowded room.

There may be people in your life, but that does not mean these people care about you or that you have any deep meaningful connection with them. Mere presence does not meet a need. Quite the opposite, it can often leave you feeling empty because the connection you desire is actually missing from the interaction. It's like one night stands. The sex is ultimately empty because it's meaningless. Most people feel cheap and unhappy afterwards, because the intimacy that should be included in sex was missing and now they are just all alone the next day.

- Response by greekattorney, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Political / Government

Buffer is right . Some people don't need or want to be hounded by "fake friends" but instead have many friends around them all the time .

- Response by headscratching, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Science / Engineering

1) Depressed
and/or
2) lacking a connection to God or some form of spirituality

- Response by Female, 29-35