Back to Active Questions

Active Questions

My landlord is ignoring my calls reguarding fixing my sink.can I just have it fixed&bill him
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 10:19 AM - Monday January 21, 2013

My landlord is ignoring my calls reguarding fixing my sink.can I just have it fixed&bill him

I have been having plumbing problems for the last two weeks and he sends a guy who works for him,who by the way isn't even a plumber.And now he is ignoring my calls and I have left him several messages and the last one I left I told him if I didn't hear from him by the end of day I was calling a plumber and bill him.....can I do this by law?

- Asked by rwilton34, Female, 46-55

Read more about the Rating System

What does your lease say?

You probably could do it yourself and then deduct it from your rental amount you pay given you probably won't be reimbursed for it and he'd give you lip service over it.

What you should do is sent him a letter outlining what your lease states and then that you are going to get a plumber to fix this and then deduct it from your monthly rental amount give his inaction and the probability of him NOT reimbursing you for the cost. Do everything in writing and sent it confirmation receipt. Yeah, it's a pain but you need confirmation he received it.

- Response by msadvise, Female, 46-55, Transportation

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

Truthfully him fixing a plumbing problem helps him more than you.

Water damage is expensive. Not sure your relationship or knowledge of plumbing water damage but I would get someone over that understands and find a way to write him or call again.

Sometimes landlords have emotional issues over fixing thing.

Good luck.

|| DK ||

- Response by ddkk, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Philadelphia, Political / Government

Rating Received:

you can do it just save all paperwork pertaining to it, you don't want to chance any of your things beingn damaged... save all calls and reciepts, deducted all expensives and send him the remaining of the rent... just make sure he is a certified plumber... some handymen don't have a clue to what they arre doing.... good luck. but remember to save everything to cover your ass.

- Response by mburgos, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Who Cares?

Rating Received:

You could pay your rent to escrow so the courts will hold it till repairs have been made. Notify your landlord by certified letter about the repairs needed and that he will receive his rent WHEN the repairs are made. Plumbing is a health issue and you could contact the Health Dept in your city also. He might get pissed and not renew your lease.

- Response by kmf1, Female, 46-55, Minneapolis, Who Cares?

Rating Received:

That depends upon which state you live in! Also, check out what your rental conract says. In the state we live in, you can get a book called "Renter's Rights". You can probably find a copy of it at your local library or on-line (goggle it) - I was able to find a 1-800 number in our phone book, under "State Government".
Good luck!

- Response by familygal, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Rating Received:

I would write a letter to the landlord and send a copy to the city council and any city officials. Also if your landlord has a boss, copy them too. If you were closer I would come and fix it for you. I would be glad to tell you step by step if you want to fix it yourself. -Richard

- Response by stick4013, A Creative, Male, 66 or older, Artist / Musician / Writer

Rating Received: