Back to Active Questions

Do you have any blackouts in your memory?
Weight & Wellness / 2:58 PM - Thursday October 04, 2012

I have had instances in my life where it feels like I blinked and found myself standing somewhere else (not remembering how i got there)..

The worst part is that, in one incident, I felt I woke up and was watching myself-with no control over what I might do.

Good news is that it hasn't happened in about 10 years, but part of me worries that it'll happen again one day..

- Asked by anonymouspersona, Female, 26-28, Miami, Administrative

Once. Not a blackout so much as I remember it clearly, but that out of control feeling. I was at work. I'd been going through a lot of stress. The job was miserable. I was going through a divorce and custody battle.

I got some coffee out of the machine. It was one of those like a Keurig like machines, though I don't know if it was the same brand. It was chocolate flavored coffee.

Soon after I felt off. Not dizzy or anything, but it was as if I wasn't quite there. I'd read what I wrote and think to myself "I don't remember writing that." I wasn't thinking straight. I could not remember what to say when I answered the phone. I drove home after work, but didn't really remember the trip. Not clearly anyway... as if it happened to someone else.

I called the doctor and ended up getting an MRI a few days later. It came back normal. I truly wish I had gone that very day to get a blood test. I felt as if I'd been drugged.

Docs blamed my current stress. It never happened again. That was 6 years ago and I'm still nervous about drinking coffee from one of those machines.

- Response by mariposa3333, Female, 36-45, New York, Self-Employed

I'm missing chunks in my memory, from 15 to 20 is missing... i remember fuzzy images but other then that. its blank.

- Response by strongbow, A Jock, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

Yes. Once I was making breakfast and apparently turned on the stove and put a wrapped stick of butter in a pan on the burner. I have no recollection of doing so then again my father had kicked me awake that morning so that would explain it. Another time I was in the middle of talking to someone and according to what I've been told turned around slapped my friend in the face the turned back to my conversation like nothing happened.

- Response by borninthemeadowcourt, Female, 18-21, Student

I have the ones, where I'm in a hotel or motel at night, suddenly awaken, and feel that I'm lost in my surroundings....

Blackouts? No....never happened....yet!

- Response by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

there are lots of things that i do not remember that my 84 y/o mother remembers and so with my siblings

- Response by A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession

Yes. everyone does now.

Maybe it has to do with food additives/growth hormones. Maybe it has to do with toxic pollution affecting our brains?

Binge drinking can cause blackouts in your memory, I was JUST reading articles on that because I binge drink once a month. If you are adolescent to age 25, the brain is still developing and it can cause PERMANENT stunting of brain function and memory function. If you binge drink as an ADULT, over age 25, other than the initial hangover, it causes no permanent damage. So I am lucky I starting Raving and Drinking heavily at age 27! :D Yeah! Good luck for ONCE!

Some people call blips in memory a "brain fart" meaning when you can't recall a word or name you KNOW that You KNOW IT. OR it could also mean you forgot a chunk of time what happened but can remember it at a later time just fine.

Time is a very funny thing. Time FLIES when you're having fun,but time drags tortuously when you are miserable. I would like to have that scientifically explained; How our perception of time can FLUCTUATE in such crazy and drastic amounts, and why?

It is normal to have memory blackout from before age 3. In developmental Psychology, you learn that toddlers before age 3 cannot accrue ANY long-term memory of events. Lifelong memories can only occur at age 3 and after. NO ONE remembers being born.

when you said you "woke up and was watching myself-with no control over what I might do".
This could be Disassociative Disorder (closely related to Schizophrenia, but NOT the same thing), its a mental and emotional disorder.
Also, I have heard that statement from people who think they have been abducted/possessed by Aliens. That they are a "puppet" and have memory blackouts. Call me crazy, but I just can't rule that out entirely. Its something to think about and decide for yourself.

Mind Fog can be associated with birth control pills, some medications and toxins/poisons building up in the body such as mercury, carbon Monoxide, Methane gas at high levels, radiation, sun poisoning, and LOTS MORE! I often get Brain Fog and then snap out of it and don't know where the time went. Where you're in a daze... hazy minded, CAN'T focus.

I can't help ya. But I can tell you that this happens to an AWFUL LOT OF PEOPLE. Its just one of them thangs that no one talks about. I don't know why.....

- Response by discotrash, A Single Gal, Female, 29-35, Las Vegas, Other Profession