Thank you for your many years of support. We want to share the news with you that after much consideration, will cease operations in its present format on October 15th. We appreciate your meaningful contributions over the years.
Back to Active Questions

Sex & Intimacy / 3:36 PM - Monday June 18, 2012

Just found out today, that I have 3 fibroids tumors 2 small and 1 large (size of a tennis ball). I don't want to have a hysterectomy and my doctor does not want me to receive a myomectomy, says hysterectomy is easier.

Is their anything I can take to shrink the fibroids? I am 44 years old. My stomach looks like I am 3 months pregnant. I have gained 16 pounds in a year, doctors says its from the fibroids. I already take the apple cidar vinegar jdaily ust as a health thing but I quess that not help the fibroids.

Don't listen to the other woman who said they grow back if you don't get a total hysterectomy.

I had ENDOMETRIAL (uterine) ABLATION (sp) and still have my uterus and have NEVER HAD ANY "GROW BACK."

Please get a second and even a third opinion. PLEASE. It is doctors who are lazy, don't want to lose the $$$$, and others who force you to believe you don't have options.

- Response by Female, 46-55

Check out Uterine Artery Embolization. It's a procedure where they go thru an artery in your leg that goes right to the fibroids, they inject this stuff that cuts off the circulation to the fibroid and they shrivel up. You do not have to have a hysterectomy.

The reason your doctor didn't bring it up, is because he cannot perform the procedure, it has to be done an interventional radiologist, so he gets nothing out of it to refer you to one.

- Response by catscratch, Female, 46-55, Executive

WHY are you so against a hysterectomy? I don't understand.

If you were 29 or 39 I'd see it, but you're 44 and DONE DONE DONE having kids (or even the possiblity/hope of having kids).

What's the big deal with having the uterus removed and getting on with your life?

Seriously. I'm not judging.

I had a myomectomy in 1996. They grew back and brought their cousins.

Ended up having a hysterectomy (uterus only) 2 years ago.

It's not that big of a deal. You won't get periods or PMS or Cramps, etc. any more. And the fibroids are gone forever.

So what the reason you refuse to have the surgery?

You have a myomectomy, you'll be BACK in the doctor's office in a YEAR for ANOTHER one because fibroids come BACK.

- Response by hnygrl, Female, 46-55, Managerial

there are different options if you don't want to have a hysterectomy. they can just remove the fibroids or do a procedure where they cut off the blood supply to the fibroid, if possible.

but it is difficult and sometimes they come back.

I had a large cluster of fibroids and it was like I was 7 months pregnant and I had a LOT of troubles with bleeding and pain. don't let it get to that point.

- Response by fondacox, A Single Gal, Female, 36-45

For the record, my friend had the procedure where they cut off the blood supply to the fibroids.

They came back.

She ended up having a hysterectomy 2 years later anyway.

No matter what you do, you're just postponing the inevitable.

I don't think your doctor is telling you this to "get more money" out of you, but to warn you that nothing will work for very long and you're going to end up getting the procedure anyway when you can't take the pain anymore.

Fibroids will grow back. Period. Only thing that cures them is removal of the uterus.

Go to a diff doctor. Then you have more than one opinion. The apple cidar vinegar does nothing.

- Response by roaminginsomniac, Female, 46-55, Law Enforcement

I'm not sure why you're so set against a hysterectomy. I suffered with fibroid tumors for years, and when I finally got a hysterectomy, I could've kicked myself for not getting it sooner. It was a BREEZE and I felt great afterwards. So don't let fear stop you, if your doctor thinks this is the best option for you.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

get a second and third opinion if you are not satisfied with your doctor's recommendation

- Response by flwoodpecker, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession