Back to Active Questions

I HAVE FIBROID TUMORS & NEED HELP!!!
Sex & Intimacy / 3:36 PM - Monday June 18, 2012

I HAVE FIBROID TUMORS & NEED HELP!!!

Just found out today, that I have 3 fibroids tumors 2 small and 1 large (size of a tennis ball). I don't want to have a hysterectomy and my doctor does not want me to receive a myomectomy, says hysterectomy is easier.

Is their anything I can take to shrink the fibroids? I am 44 years old. My stomach looks like I am 3 months pregnant. I have gained 16 pounds in a year, doctors says its from the fibroids. I already take the apple cidar vinegar jdaily ust as a health thing but I quess that not help the fibroids.

Don't listen to the other woman who said they grow back if you don't get a total hysterectomy.

I had ENDOMETRIAL (uterine) ABLATION (sp) and still have my uterus and have NEVER HAD ANY "GROW BACK."

ever.

Please get a second and even a third opinion. PLEASE. It is doctors who are lazy, don't want to lose the $$$$, and others who force you to believe you don't have options.

PLEASE.

- Response by Female, 36-45

Check out Uterine Artery Embolization. It's a procedure where they go thru an artery in your leg that goes right to the fibroids, they inject this stuff that cuts off the circulation to the fibroid and they shrivel up. You do not have to have a hysterectomy.

The reason your doctor didn't bring it up, is because he cannot perform the procedure, it has to be done an interventional radiologist, so he gets nothing out of it to refer you to one.

- Response by catscratch, Female, 46-55, Executive

Question:

WHY are you so against a hysterectomy? I don't understand.

If you were 29 or 39 I'd see it, but you're 44 and DONE DONE DONE having kids (or even the possiblity/hope of having kids).

What's the big deal with having the uterus removed and getting on with your life?

Seriously. I'm not judging.

I had a myomectomy in 1996. They grew back and brought their cousins.

Ended up having a hysterectomy (uterus only) 2 years ago.

It's not that big of a deal. You won't get periods or PMS or Cramps, etc. any more. And the fibroids are gone forever.

So what the reason you refuse to have the surgery?

You have a myomectomy, you'll be BACK in the doctor's office in a YEAR for ANOTHER one because fibroids come BACK.

- Response by hnygrl, Female, 46-55, Managerial

there are different options if you don't want to have a hysterectomy. they can just remove the fibroids or do a procedure where they cut off the blood supply to the fibroid, if possible.

but it is difficult and sometimes they come back.

I had a large cluster of fibroids and it was like I was 7 months pregnant and I had a LOT of troubles with bleeding and pain. don't let it get to that point.

- Response by fondacox, A Single Gal, Female, 36-45

For the record, my friend had the procedure where they cut off the blood supply to the fibroids.

They came back.

She ended up having a hysterectomy 2 years later anyway.

No matter what you do, you're just postponing the inevitable.

I don't think your doctor is telling you this to "get more money" out of you, but to warn you that nothing will work for very long and you're going to end up getting the procedure anyway when you can't take the pain anymore.

Fibroids will grow back. Period. Only thing that cures them is removal of the uterus.

Go to a diff doctor. Then you have more than one opinion. The apple cidar vinegar does nothing.

- Response by roaminginsomniac, Female, 46-55, Law Enforcement

Talk to your Doctor about Uterine Fibroid Embolization. Hysterectomies are always the procedure they push. And, you do not have to have a hysterectomy if that's not what YOU want. Also, it has been said by Doctors, that women could try and wait it out until they are in full blown menopause (1 year without a period). It is the estrogen that keep fibroids blood supply going and increasing in size. When you're in menopause , they have found that you're estrogen levels drop and the fibroids shrink or disappear altogether.

Many women experience a lot of pain, emotional problems, and complications from hysterectomies as well. I'm sure every woman is different. How severe the size and position of these fibroids make a difference in the type of treatment you decide upon. I've heard that they do come back in most cases with a lot of the other treatments. Again, every woman is different. Maybe, this would not happen in your case. I had four and she could only remove "stalk" one. Because, the rest were deeply embedded in places that were risky.

I'm not planning on having children. I still do not want a hysterectomy. Because, some women have gone through hell after having them. And, many have said, "knowing what they know now, they wouldn't have had one." These type of choices are personal. So, try not to worry too much. And, find out all of the options, and pick the one that is best for peace of mind. Don't allow your Doctor, OB/GYN, or anyone else pressure you or make you feel stupid for not desiring to just get it over, with a hysterectomy. It might seem like the simple answer for them. But, this is about what you feel comfortable with and what would also stop the issues you're having. Good luck.

- Response by thelovedovefor1, Female, 46-55, Atlanta, Who Cares?

Honey, if there was a remedy that was not doctor related, every woman would be taking it to prevent fibroid tumors.

What you do is go to another doctor for a second opinion. And when seeking that out, find out if the doctor is up on the latest treatments that don't involve a hysterectomy. You've gotta be smart about this.

The other thing here is if you do need to have your uterus removed due to them, as long as you have your ovaries, you'll be just fine, but no hassles of a period anymore.

- Response by msadvise, Female, 46-55, Transportation

I'm not sure why you're so set against a hysterectomy. I suffered with fibroid tumors for years, and when I finally got a hysterectomy, I could've kicked myself for not getting it sooner. It was a BREEZE and I felt great afterwards. So don't let fear stop you, if your doctor thinks this is the best option for you.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

I'm not a doctor - I don't even play one on TV - but I will tell you this: get your ass to a doctor, preferably a GYN who knows something about fibroids.

- Response by myrtletyrtle, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

get a second and third opinion if you are not satisfied with your doctor's recommendation

- Response by flwoodpecker, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Other Profession