Back to Active Questions

Do you think addiction is a choice or a disease?
Random & Fun / 3:44 AM - Sunday October 30, 2011

I just left a relationship with an alcoholic. It was sad because he was such a good-hearted, bright, creative, amazing person, but when he would drink, he turned into a monster. He'd black out and curse at me, threaten me and say such awful things that I just couldn't take it anymore. It runs in his family - almost all his family members have some form of addiction. He cried to me and said he wished more than anything he could stop, but that he couldn't unless he got help. I encouraged him to go to treatment but I don't know if he ever did. I hear people say addiction or alcoholism is a lifestyle choice, but the more I think about it, I'm not so sure...

It is a Disease. Now granted if you know your family is littered with addicts then you have to be more careful. (If your grandparent is an addict your twice as likely to become an addict. parent 3 times more likely)

Addicts can not get from under their addiction without help. He is going to need help. The fact he is telling you he wants to stop and wants treatment is a good sign. Look and find where a local AA is tell him where it is.

The people say it is a choice. Have never been around an addict or been one themselves. It is NOT a choice its a compulsion. I've seen the struggle of an addict to stop. I promise you it is NOT a choice.

- Response by bellabyrdie, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Alcohol has a lot to answer for and so do the people who sell it on a different level.

The majority of admissions into Accident and Emergency are alcohol related.

I personally have known 3 good people die because they wouldn't stop drinking. The one was one of the kindest men I've ever known, was very well liked by just about everyone.

And all the people who talk about drinking as if it is super cool make me sick.

I've had my own Grand Father refuse to buy me a non-alcoholic drink in front of my whole family on a night out, and my brother backed him up by saying a Coke is a woman's drink. Rubbish.

And then you've got the workplace where it is seen as the norm to go to lunch and get a drink as part of that.

Also, when someone gets drunk you often see their true colours.

- Response by bluegenel, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Technical

I personally think it's not a choice, but rather a disease..No one can help him, unless he wants it.. I was married to a drug addict & eventually became an enabler.. It's good that u left before things started getting serious...

- Response by spitfire815, Female, 66 or older, Who Cares?

Addiction has some biological dependency, but mostly its a choice.

- Response by greenwind, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Construction

Choice not a disease.
It gets called that, to remove responsibility from the responsible party. Why? You don't blame someone with the flu for having the flu, so If I'm a drug addict, it's not my fault, it's a disease.
Plus with the way our legal system works if it gets "defined" as a disease, it is now protected and paid for. Can't fire someone from their job for having the flu, can't fire them for being a druggy.

- Response by jjcabin, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Washington, DC, Technical

I knew someone who went from being charming to emotionally brutal within minutes. He always apologized for his behavior but told me he had a psychological disorder and couldn't help himself sometimes, blamed it on being bi-polar.

I'm going with it's all a lifestyle choice (alcohol, etc.) and an excuse to be abusive and not take responsibility for bad behavior. Just my opinion.

ps. when he was sweet, he was irresistible.

- Response by velvetqueen, Female, 46-55

For some it is an addiction based on genes and for others it is a lifestyle choice due to events in their life.

- Response by msadvise, Female, 46-55, Transportation