Back to Active Questions

How should I freeze runner beans?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 3:03 PM - Wednesday August 17, 2011

How should I freeze runner beans?

I have been given far too many beans for just the two of us, so I would like to keep them for another day.

- Asked by silversaver40, A Budget-minded, Female, 66 or older

You need to blanch/steam them in a double boiler and then freeze them immediately. Wife cans alot of veggies that's how I know. I love them too as well as all of the other veggies she freezes. Makes the best peach and blackberry jam too. Damn now I am getting hungry.

- Response by painter3459, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Self-Employed

Prep them ready for cooking, put them in a food bag, freeze in portion sizes. This is how my grandad has treated his home grown runner beans for as lon as i can remember

- Response by psychoticbabe1, Female, 26-28, Other Profession

Put them in a frezzer zip lock bag. Push out all the air possible. Frezzer time! As with anything else.

- Response by nomadbum, A Working Gal, Female, 46-55, Chicago, Self-Employed

Go on-line and google "freezing green beans". I am not sure if you can just freeze them fresh or if they have to blanched first. Good luck.

- Response by gingham, Female, 66 or older, Baltimore, Construction

You need to wash them first in cold water, then break or cut off the ends. Blanch in boiling water for only 3 minutes, then plunge into ice water to stop cooking/blanching process. Place beans on absorbant paper to get as much water off as possible. I then weigh mine in 1 pound increments and seal them in food saver bags. You can also place blanched beans on cookie sheet to freeze individually, then put in zip lock freezer bags (make sure you get out as much air as possible first.)

- Response by murphsandy, The Cook, Female, 66 or older, Retired

Give them to me. If had had to eat one food every day for the rest of my life, it would be a mess of half runners.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

Yes - Put them in boiling water for no more than a min. then rinse with cool water and put them in a freezer bag. -Gulliver

- Response by stick4013, A Creative, Male, 66 or older, Artist / Musician / Writer