Back to Active Questions

My neighbors have loud kids. Can I say anything?
Family & Relationships / 5:09 PM - Tuesday May 03, 2011

I have neighbors next door with two young girls. I grew up in a large family.. I know how loud kids get. These kids are exceptionally loud. They play outdoors almost all day (they are too young to be in school). They constantly scream, usually angrily or because they are crying. They shout back at their parents when their parents ask them to do anything. The parents more often than not, relent and let the girls do whatever they please. Is it inappropriate for me to ask them to keep it down? I know this can be an impossible request for some parents, but maybe it'd clue them into the fact that their kids are not just noisy, but sound hostile.

I would not say anything to the parents.

But, I would encourage you to become friends with the little girls and teach them how to be a good neighbor by not yelling and disturbing others.

- Response by utahmom, Female, 56-65, Managerial

Yes, I think you could do that - but tell a white lie about the fact that you need to sleep during the daytime because of your job. They might actually realize their children are a bother to someone.

I tried to tell a man his boys were throwing rocks at my daughter and he just replied, "Tell her not to play with boys." Parents can be very insensitive about their children's behavior.

- Response by parent123, Female, 66 or older, Retired

Unless it's after dark when they are acting up,I wouldn't say anything. Kids are loud. Some are just louder than others. If their parents let them behave that way,a comment from you won't change anything.

- Response by misskitty420, Female, 29-35, Student