Ear deco...... Do you have those huge holes in your earlobes?? Know anyone that does?
Style & Beauty / 10:47 PM - Friday April 08, 2011

Saw a few younger people at the mall with huge...what looked like corks popped into their earlobes, I mean huge I'd say around one to one n a half inch round suckers...looked weird and actually kind of funny!! Then a little later I saw a young (early 20's maybe) girl with the holes but nothing in them...that looked gross.
Does this mean something? Is it "gang" related....or just a crazy fad??

Do you have those? Are you ready to live your whole life with huge ass holes in your lobes?
Know anyone who has them?

Why...all I can ask is why?? :\

Update: April 09, 2011.
I'm 40, and I do remember small ear cork things in high school, but the cork things back then were very tiny in compairison. That girls empty lobes came close to touching her shoulders they were soooo stretched out and thin. Ick ! Thanks for all the replies :)

- Asked by bobbysg1rl, Female, 36-45, Pittsburgh, Medical / Dental

I've seen it but I don't get how any rational human being could do it...but maybe the key word is rational!!

- Response by mrwondering11, A Creative, Male, Who Cares?, Portland, Managerial

It's called gaging and it is pretty nasty. They continue to put bigger and biggeer studs in til they get them stretched as far as they want and some go really bit and nasty. I've known a few ppl who did it and it looks like shit. It's not a gang thing but it has been around for a while and is in other cultures but it is mainly a fringe thing as it is common but not real common.

- Response by aron77, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Kansas City, Celebrity

It's the next big thing after tattoes I feel. People just have to do something to stand out and look different, oh and stupid. It's never enough to just be yourself anymore.

- Response by overeactor, A Jock, Male, 22-25, Tampa, Fitness

It's just a new fad..calm down. lol

- Response by gregslove77, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

if my girls ever do that them i`m hacking off their ears! my kids won`t be freaks like that.

- Response by rantingmadman, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, Cincinnati, Transportation

My almost 19 year old son who is in college. I can't stand to look at his ears. He's straight edge and anti drugs and alcohol, which is to be commended, but he likes piercings and tattoos and those nasty ear lobe tunnels, and that disturbs me. I can't imagine what his ears are going to look like when he's an old man. I'm sure he'll need surgery to repair them.

- Response by abitspoiled, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

Gauging? That's not a new thing. It is getting more popular, but it isn't new. I had my ears gauged for a long time. Only about as wide as the tip of my pinky, but then, I decided to take them out. They shrunk(thankfully). Now, I just fake them haha. I'm a loser like that. I think a certain size looks good, but too big, is icky.

- Response by sillysquids2, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

It's definitely not a "new" fad. I'm 34 and people my age were doing it when I was 16 and I don't think it has stopped since. Certain African tribes, and probably others, have done it for ages. The kids that did it when I was younger were the ones we called "the alternatives" or "grunge" or "goth". It's that whole body mutilation stupidity that's supposed to make you stand out and be "different" or "one of a kind" from the typical "cool and "popular" ones. They want to be so "against" those "cool and "populars" yet, they never comprehend that they, ironically, have become one of the "cool" and "popular" ones themselves. It's kinda funny.

- Response by carmila123, Female, 36-45, Retail

It's called stretching. I do it, mine are on the small side. I dont plan to go that large cause of work. Mine are smaller than a pencil eraser. Depending on the size they can shrink back to "normal" size. It's not really a new fad or anything been around for a long time. I like the way it looks on me. I dont care that other people do it. I dont care if my son wants to do it either. My thing with him is I dont care what he looks like as long as he's doing what he's supposed to be doing. If he's getting straight A's I'm happy!

- Response by lotsofadvice, Female, 29-35, New York, Who Cares?

Do your ears hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie them in a knot?
Can you tie them in a bow?
Can you throw them o'er your shoulder
like a continental soldier?
Do your ears hang low?

Do your ears hang high?
Do they reach up to the sky?
Do they droop when they are wet?
Do they stiffen when they're dry?
Can you semaphore your neighbour
with a minimum of labour?
Do your ears hang high?

Do your ears flip-flop?
Can you use them for a mop?
Are they stringy at the bottom?
Are they curly at the top?
Can you use them for a swatter?
Can you use them for a blotter?
Do your ears flip-flop?

Do your ears hang out?
Can you waggle them about?
Can you flip them up and down
as you fly around the town?
Can you shut them up for sure
when you hear an awful bore?
Do your ears hang out?

Its called "gauged out" and yeah, you have to have reconstructive surgery to ever have normal earlobes again.
The diameter gauge is larger in diameter. They use a tool like a GIANT hole-puncher machine and snap the skin right out. OR stretch the skin by putting in larger and larger "plugs", probably what the floppy-earlobed girl u saw did.

it is punk and badass and sometimes Goth.
it was popular even when I was in High school years 1999-2002.

However, Ebay sells "fake" gauges.. where u can have a regular piercing, yet the earring lays flat against the ear and it REALLY LOOKS like a large hole, but its trickery.
A cashier I work with has them, Fake Gauges. It looks real! she has normal ear piercings.
I wanna get some fake Gauges! lol

- Response by discotrash, A Single Gal, Female, 29-35, Las Vegas, Other Profession

Yes, and can you wonder how they will ever be able to get a job. I would never hire someone that did not even care about thier body. That would olny prove to me that they would not care about thier job, because their body is the one thing they have that is the most important to them.

- Response by A Creative, Male, 56-65, Transportation

Piercing freaks pride themselves on how large their holes are. The size of the things they put in their holes are measured by thickness, or "gauge." If the holes are just too big, they will never grow back. It's a little like a tattoo, being that it is permanent.

- Response by betterbird, A Creative, Male, 46-55, San Francisco, Administrative

MY NIECE HAS THOSE.THEY ARE CALLED"GUAGES".SHE SAID SHE LIKES THE WAY THEY LOOK,BUT I BEG TO DIFFER!!THESE ARE HER WORDS"AUNTIE,THERE ALL THE RAGE".WELL I THINK ITS STUPID!AND IT DOES LOOK GROSS AS HELL!SHE DID SAY IT IS NOT GANG RELATED EITHER,OK.

- Response by tudorcat, Female, 46-55, Columbus, Home Maker

I have seen several people with those large holes in their ear lobes. I believe it is a fad, not gang related. I do not think that is is attractive at all; it does look very strange, but everyone has their own sense of fashion.

- Response by dragontulip, Female, 36-45, Therapist