Thank you for your many years of support. We want to share the news with you that after much consideration, will cease operations in its present format on October 15th. We appreciate your meaningful contributions over the years.
Back to Home

Active Questions

If someone gets hurt on my property, am I liable?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 10:53 PM - Wednesday April 06, 2011

If someone gets hurt on my property, am I liable?

Does my State Farm home owner's insurance cover people getting hurt on my property? Do I need to tell my insurance that I have someone renting a room from me? Her kids come and visit her at my house every other weekend, and I'm afraid she'll sue if one of them gets hurt on my property. What should I do/can I do to prevent this, if it is in fact possible? What kinds of things should I make sure I include in a rental agreement, and who pays for rental insurance, and what is it? Sorry for so many questions. I'm just clueless about all of this, but I need the extra money. Thank for any help!

- Asked by Female, 36-45

Read more about the Rating System

It depends on why they were on your property D

- Response by duggers, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older

Rating Received:

These are questions for your insurance agent! We aren't in a position to read your policy or know what your liability is legally where you live. Your insurance agent should know this information.

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

Rating Received:

If it happens on your property, it's your insurance.
That's old English common law.

If anyone's kids, or even someone walking across your yard, gets hurt on your property, your insurance covers it.

Even if you post a "no trespassing" sign.

You may need to let your insurance company know but don't be surprised if your rates go up.

You should include things like "time for visitors", and "quiet time". You will also need to set rules regarding use of common area items, like the microwave, and rules regarding cleanliness and housekeeping. Depending on how well you know the person, you may have a lot more to add, or just a little.

Renters insurance is generally property insurance for the personal contents owned by the renter, although it can also include liability coverage should the renter damage the property. Renters pay for it. You already pay for your own.

- Response by chessplayer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Administrative

Rating Received:

Law differs from country to country, in canada you owe a standard of care to everybody who steps on your property. Motivation for stepping on property is pretty clear, as they are her children. All you need to do is make sure that there are no problems with your property. If everything is normal, then they can't sure you.
I don't think you can include that in your rental insurance, as it is ultimately your liability, kind of like vicarious liability. So you have to make sure that you provide a safe environment for kids to be at your property.
If kids are involved trust me, you have to be ultra hi fi cautious, because negligence can become a very very big issue on your property.
So be very careful, and provide a very very safe enviroment for kids.

- Response by playaarrow, A Player, Male, 29-35, Toronto, Science / Engineering

Rating Received:

yep you are liable...yrs ago my cousins had a big ugly shhep dod and it attacked somebody....they were held liable for that.

- Response by rantingmadman, A Hip Hop Guy, Male, 66 or older, Atlanta, Hospitality

Rating Received:

All of your questions can be answered by your insurance provider. What kind of insurance you need, how much it will cost, which is best, yadda yadda yadda.

- Response by randyl, Female, Who Cares?, Technical

Rating Received: