How do you get rid of the film left on dishes from low-phosphate detergents?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 9:42 AM - Friday March 11, 2011

After running the dishwasher, there is a white film left on some dishes (pots, pans, and plastic). It doesn't completely rinse or wipe off. Is there something I can add to the dishwasher to improve this?

Update: April 25, 2011.
Thanks for your responses. I always use Jet-Dry and Cascade packets. After further research, it is true that it's from the government restricting something in dishwasher detergent, which causes this white powdery substance. I found a product at the grocery store called "Lemishine" (sp?) that worked great. Only thing is that it took the finish off the tray for my toaster oven.

Update: March 11, 2011.
Thanks for your responses, but none of them really helped. I do use Cascade all-in-one packs and I use Jet Dry. I read that because of the low phosphates, this powdery residue could appear, but I need to know how to get rid of it. Thanks again for your help, though.

- Asked by barbaravase93, A Stay-at-Home Mom, Female, 56-65

Jet dry solution or Cascade all in one packets.

- Response by iwetwired, Female, 29-35, New York

It may not be a film at all. If you can wipe it off with a wet or dry finger, then get some JET-DRY. If you cannot wipe it off of the dishes, then it is *etching,* which is a chemical change in the dish material itself due to the detergent and water.

See this link on what etching is and how to treat it. Remove any spaces when you copy and paste. Also, any leaded crystal should NEVER, EVER be cleaned in a dishawasher. Because of the lead in the crystal, it will become damaged.

http://www.wqa.org/site logic.cfm?id=352

- Response by Female, Who Cares?

I have used Cascade in my dishwasher(s) for over 40 years with none of that happening on my dishes.

- Response by lacey07, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

Maybe, but I don't know if it leaves a taste but they do use it in coffee makers, doing one cycle in a solution of CLR -- removes calcium and lime deposits.

- Response by rainydays72, Female, 36-45, Sacramento, Administrative