"In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Friendship / 11:48 PM - Monday January 17, 2011

Have you ever had the experience of "friends" who didn't speak up?

- Asked by gettingstronger, Female, 46-55, Teaching

Silence of friends for a genuine cause is silence of the lambs.

- Response by counsellor, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 66 or older, Delhi, Self-Employed

You betcha.
Once when a few leaders in a worship community turned on me, most stood by and watched.
I left thinking everyone was against me. Turns out most didn't understand what was going on, and a few just didn't want to get involved. Two stood by me and remain close friends.

- Response by monana, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

yes I have. people I consider friends I can count on my fingers and toes, but I'm ok with that, because I know if I pickup the phone they dont ask a 100 questions when I ask for help.

- Response by hotair, A Father Figure, Male, 66 or older, New Orleans, Transportation

Been there done that....get letters of recommendations always before shit hits the fan. LOL

- Response by joybird, A Budget-minded, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Yes, I have on a few occasions, but they finally did speak up when I beckoned the call. Also, true friends that don't speak up are the ones that don't do that when they're doing it out of respect because they're afraid the truth will hurt you.

- Response by daugenstine, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Political / Government

I almost died a little over a year ago. I had ghastly heart surgery that saved me. My recent ex was nowhere to be seen.

- Response by chesterdad, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, San Francisco

Oh yes. And I take care of a man who just won't keep his mouth shut. So I respond every chance I get. I don't know how people put up with him all these years. He's not an out and out bigot, just a clueless jerk.

- Response by graziella, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Artist / Musician / Writer

Yes. A woman attacked me in a parking lot because I parked in a spot that her daughter wanted. The elderly woman grabbed my shirt collar and would not let go, so then I grabbed hers until she let go. My friend stood there watching and didn't do anything to separate us. Then when the daughter parked the car she came running to get me and a man stood in front of me to protect me. I walked away and my friend was reprimanding me instead of asking if I was okay. I was not going to run away because I wanted to hear what they had to say, but all they wanted to do was beat me up! They were cacausian. I'm Hispanic and I believe they thought I would cower. Sad.

- Response by roniroca, Female, 56-65, Denver, Administrative