Can your employer dictate what you wear when OFF THE CLOCK??
Sex & Intimacy / 3:36 PM - Wednesday January 12, 2011

I was in a management meeting today,and we were TOLD to not wear revealing clothing while SHOPPING off-the-clock at WalMart, where I work. I am lower management, still hourly. A Customer Service Manager.

The reason I moved to Las Vegas to become an Adult Film star, but me getting in shape has always been an issue.
I have lost 50 pounds and I was totally planning on wearing booty shorts ALL SUMMER, even for my grocery shopping.
Some people are of the belief that "if you've got it, flaunt it".

I really don't think that as LOWER Management, our dresscode OFF the clock should be any of your concern.

Once, when hubby and I were on our way to the Green Door Swingers club, and I was dressed to the Nines, we suddenly realized we were going to have to go to the store for some Magnum XL condoms. So, in my short Salsa glittery dress and high heels and poppin cleavage, we QUICKLY went to WalMart, the closest store also the cheapest.
Condoms are more expensive elsewhere.
Can an employer really dictate what someone wears after they are CLOCKED OUT.

That is a violation of personal rights.
I am only talking about coming in shopping on OFF days, not leaving out the Employee doors dressed skimpy.

Not everyone is a parent or hardly conservative in style, some of moved to Vegas FOR the wild nightlife!

I looked on the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission)website but nothing was mentioned.

Does anyone know the labor laws enough, or Rights laws as to whether they can tell me if I can be terminated for dressing like a slut in WalMart, shopping, while OFF THE CLOCK??

If so, quote me the law please.

- Asked by discotrash, A Single Gal, Female, 29-35, Las Vegas, Other Profession

If it were me LOL I would go to management and say this..." Can you show me the labor laws or Rights laws that say you can tell me if I can be terminated for dressing like a slut in WalMart, shopping, while OFF THE CLOCK"?

I have seen how people dress in Walmart LOL I don't see anyone being able to ban anyones attire there, but that's just me.

So... go back to management and ask. They can't fire you for just asking.

- Response by seajaih, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

They can fire you anytime they want so I wouldn't try to pull the "there's no law that says" crap. You are representing the company and if you don't represent it well then they don't need you (yes, I know it's only Wal-mart). But all legal issues aside, you said that you are a manager right? How would you want you employees to see you? Do you want them to respect and trust you? Do you want them to look up to you? Do you want them to listen to you? I know you don't want to hear it but the lifestyle you live outside of work is no one's business in work. Keep them separate. Very separate.

- Response by 7zebras, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, New York, Financial / Banking

I agree with your question to a certain extent. I mean it's not like there aren't already seedy people that shop at Walmart as I imagined you learned from being a manager. Not that I'm suggesting you're that way. How you live your life is your business. The same is true when you're off the clock. As long as you aren't wearing it in the store, I don't see how it should really be a problem.

This question is kind of in a gray area. I mean yes you're an adult, and you aren't working. However, you're also an employee of theirs. I'm not saying it's right. That's just how it is. Walmart doesn't exactly have a reputation of respecting people's rights, so I wouldn't put too much credence into all their policies. I'm pretty sure half their stuff is manufactured by children in sweatshops overseas.

Also, they've taken out dead peasants insurance policies on their employees meaning they collect insurance money off employees who die while working for Walmart. If you don't believe me, see that movie Capitalism: A Love Story by Michael Moore. It's disturbing and sickening yet true. In the meantime, it sounds to me like you might want to start looking for another job to hold you over until you get your wish of working in the adult film business if they're going to pull this petty nonsense.

- Response by daugenstine, A Creative, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

I think Nevada is a "right to work" state, but I could be wrong. In a right to work state (a true misnomer, it is really a right to fire you state) and there for can fire you for no reason at any time.

But I think that what they are saying is that if you are recognized as an employee of the company, then anyone seeing you might associate you with the company. Wal-Mart does not want to be associated with hookers or people who look like hookers so they will fire anyone who dresses like a hooker, even on their own time.

Now if you are down at the local Walgren drug store, dressed like a porn star, and buying condoms, wal-mart will probably not complain since they don't know.

But you are asking for trouble if you appear in the place that you work, or even are seen by someone who knows that you work there looking like something that wal-mart doesn't want.

You will note that Wallies doesn't have a porn section in the store. Probably missing a bet there but they don't seem to support that.

The restriction applies to a lot of industries. Sports figures are generally prevented from doing anything that would reflect poorly on the team, etc.

In Vegas, it would be worth the extra money to buy your condoms someplace else, even if you have to spend a few dollars more. Keep the day job.

Good luck

- Response by welloone, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 66 or older, Retired

I too have been to the Green Door. Unfortunately, I DIDNT GET ANY ACTION...LOL

- Response by handsomedetroitguy, A Father Figure, Male, 36-45, Detroit, Political / Government

I don't really think there is a law that says they can tell you what to wear off the clock, but would not wear anything like the booty pants at your work area.
Now you may be able to get away with it at other places.
You may have to go to the local department of labor to get a reading on this.
good luck!

- Response by mobysdick, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

they don't have to dictate it, they can fire you,

and yes it DOES matter, when in the store you represent the company whether on the clock or off it,

say you like to wear dead animals when off the clock, cool, ok, thats your right, then you go to a store, they will not want you there cause of your dress, same thing with skimpy

see the kicker here is you can go ELSEWHERE to shop, you don't have to shop at walmart, you CHOOSE to shop there and if you want to, there are rules as to the employees

you don't like it, quit

you will not win this issue, just do your shopping right after work in walmart

truthfully, i think you WANT to go in there looking like that so that the fellow workers will see you like that, it plays to your sexuality

it has nothing to do with dress code

and managers of any form are to represent even MORE than basic employees

this can easily be avoided your being selfish

aloha

- Response by beautifulloser, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, Detroit, Executive

The only thing I can think of is that the company may have the right to define appropriate behavior for employees. It's how companies get around having a dress code--something like how employees are expected to behave / dress in a certain way on the premises of the employer.

Have you been harassed by someone who reported you for wearing the skimpy dress in Walmart? You probably should have spent the few extra bucks and bought the condoms elsewhere, I'm afraid.

Fascist pigs generally cover themselves legally when they want to be fascist pigs--I doubt you'll be able to fight city hall on this one. :/

- Response by electragold21, Female, 29-35, New York, Teaching

Are you saying they tell you what to wear "off the clock" ON THEIR PREMISES? If I understand that correctly, then YES, they CAN tell you that. They have the right to tell their employees how to dress in THEIR building, whether the employee is on duty or not.

If they told you that you couldn't dress skanky in the bar across town or at someone's home, THAT would probably be an unenforceable rule.

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

they can't legally tell you what you wear off the clock but since you are still at your workplace (even though you are not working) it still makes an impression on people.

there is a saying, dress for the job you want and not the job you have. whenever anyone from work sees me, I dress like a professional woman.

also, you can be sexy without flaunting it all.
if you like to flaunt it, do so where people will appreciate it. obviously these people would rather you not

- Response by fondacox, A Single Gal, Female, 36-45

I am a bit rusty but this is my recollection.....

We (another retail chain) had a store policy ...something to the effect that an employee could be dismissed for causing the company undue embarrassment...

Now this is years later and I can't recall the exact wording... I am thinking if one of their managers had been
chosen as a Playboy centerfold and they regarded that as a
direct contradiction of their family values...

A manager i knew was disciplined for texting and sending a picture of his Johnson to an hourly worker..who by the way requested it off hours...for both of them...

So it goes to show you to be discrete in your place of employment....

You may lose your job...but it will be you who has to
acquire legal counsel to regain it... that would be costly
and not expediant.... You could be unemployed for some time...not to mention how word of mouth traveling would effect your prospects at your next place of application for employment... In retail...everyone know everyone for miles....

Just slip on a wrap the next time you are showing alot of skin.......You are more out on a limb being in management...

Be careful....

- Response by lady4u, The Cook, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

They can't dictate what you wear. But if you are going to go to your job and shop I would say that you go there covered up a bit. Afterall it's where you work and even when you are not there your are a representation of them.People tend to judge you based upon how you look so if you go there on you own time dressed skimpy that could cause others to treat you in a different way when you are working.
I don't think it's a law of any sort but i do know that companies can request things of you. Most often they are just requests. You always have to option to do it or get a different job that won't give you those kinds of requests.

- Response by phenomenal1woman, Female, 46-55, Chicago

Depends. You may have signed certain things during your orientation that you aren't aware of. Many people do. Especially when they advance into managment...lower mangmnt or not. There are all sorts of things people agree to when getting hired and don't realize it. Some things employers actually know is stretching the boundaries of what most people would agree to, so they cleverly disguise the expectations amongst normal sounding policies. A hypothetical one could be something like a morality clause or reasonable behavior clause. They sound benign and simple but somewhere in the single spaced multi page document might me specific guidelines alowing them to terminate employment if an employee dresses itn what THEY PERCEIVE to be ___________, on or OFF the clock. Most chains prohibit dating of anyone at the business once you are a manager, that is off the clock stuff and seems illegal but they do it and get away with it. You say you work in retail, so you likely work for a chain. Just trust that one of two things is going on. They have their ass covered and you will have to adhere to the rules or get canned, or they are operating on a moral high ground they have no right to and they are opening themselves up to litigation. The former is more likely. Our society is so litigeous, most chains cover thier ass big time, AND they have concerns about their image.

Look, I have read your posts and responses here. We all know you are very liberal and quite raunchy by most standards. Its cool...its your life and you're free to do it. It is just funny when you openly admit to wanting to do adult films, talk about stinky pussy with dried up urine smells and the odor of a turd floating by in brown sewer water and not to mention the tight butthole scraping feces away from itself so all that is left on a finger or penis is a musty butt smell of your own...oh and the willingness to do a donky or horse provided someone used their hands to clean off the smegma because they don't have hands to, yet wonder why your dress and demeanor may just get you canned. Even if you are within your rights to dress how you do, your behavior likely puts off those around you. It may not put me off, I dunno. I just know your ideas and beliefs aren't welcomed by most out there. BTW, if you want to do porn, move to the San Fernando Valley of CA. I am sure they do it well in LV, but the numbers suggest Cali is where it is at. Best of luck. BTW, I am not hating, I am just stating the obvious and I actually applaud your honesty.

- Response by An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Sacramento, Other Profession

When you are on premises your outfit is a legitimate business concern of your employer. If you want to wear something else, don't go to the place you are employed.

Your employer can fire you for your part time job as a porn star. They can fire you for wearing the outfit anywhere, but probably won't.

Basically, an employer has a lot of flexibility to decide when and if they will pay you. Its their money. If you want their money you have to do what they want.

- Response by greenwind, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Construction