My husband says that if a man wont show affection in public he is ashamed of the woman
Sex & Intimacy / 2:48 PM - Thursday January 06, 2011

my husband says that if a man wont show affection in public he is ashamed of the woman

that hes with.do you find that to be true?

Update: January 06, 2011.
the guy i dated brfore my husband ws all good behind doors but in public very conservative.but i was known as his girlfriend by ALL his family and friends.both in and out of town.but my husband said like it was casual conversation that he must have been ashamed of me.when i pointed out that he (the other guy)didnt really hold hands with his wife either ,my husbands comment was he must b ashamed of her too.and to tell the truth that my husband would think ANYONE was ashamed of me kind of hurt. he told me the guy may have loved me but didnt like me very much.(that i dont understand)when i pointed out that all the males in his family liked me he said maybe they did but he didnt.comments?>

It does not definitely mean that, no.

Many men love more than what they show. =-)

- Response by cutypy5840, Female, 36-45, Medical / Dental

No, not at all.

PDA isn't everyone's cup of tea. It certainly isn't mine! I wouldn't engage in it, and I am uncomfortable when others do it in front of me.

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

I have always wondered this myself. My ex always held my hand and possibly a smooch, but that was about it.

- Response by jamiesangel777, Female, Who Cares?

I don't think so...
I think it makes some people uncomfortable......

- Response by stanorocks, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Denver, Therapist

No

- Response by tenspro35, A Career Man, Male, 46-55

If they cant show affection in public with you something is wrong.He could just be shy about public affection. I don't really like the whole making out in public and stuff. i don't mind holding hands or hugging. i just really want to be kissing all out in public.

- Response by tonilyz, A Guy Critical, Male, 22-25, Milwaukee, Student

Not necessarily, some men simply dont like PDA even with a woman they find incredibly hot. If a guy who NORMALLY shows affection with his partners but doesn't do it with one particular partner, then yeah, it could be that he's ashamed of her in public. But unless you know what he's like with other women he's been with, its impossible to say one way or the other...

- Response by xerxes, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Washington, DC, Lawyer

I show affection by a kiss on the cheek; my hand in hers and my arm around her side, but will not act like we are making out in public at all. find making out in public gross and inappropriate.

- Response by amandasboy, A Father Figure, Male, Who Cares?, Other Profession

That's not just so. Some men are not outwardly affectionate in public. No big deal. As long as he doesn't get nasty with you in public, nothing is wrong.

The other side of the coin are men who get a kick out of humiliating their wives and/or girlfriends in public..and that's the kind you don't marry and are sorry if you do.

- Response by pushkins, Female, 66 or older, Miami, Who Cares?

For me that would be true because I tend to keep one hand on my woman somewhere at all times in public. And I tend to kill the boredom of standing in a que or otherwise stuck somewhere by surreptitiously molesting her.

Holding hands is how you show all the other dogs that that's your bitch and to back off.

- Response by llafsroh, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Boston, Science / Engineering

No..depends on level of affection but there is a time and place for everything.

- Response by hwyrider, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Retired

No, I don't think it's universally true. That's just an opinion. Maybe that's how he feels and he's giving you fair warning for when he stops or the reason he doesn't.

The word "affection" is so subjective anyway. Some people are reluctant to hold hands in public and I've seen some people making out, practically licking their faces, while standing on a sculpture in the middle of a fountain.

It takes all stripes.

- Response by alecsmart1, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Celebrity

It takes all stripes.

My boyfriend tells me its high school stuff. He don't hold my hand won't give me a kiss. Not to mention he likes looking and texting other women. Im not asking for a makeout infront of god and everyone else, I'm just asking for my hand to be hold to tell the world she's taken and she' s with me. I have lived with this guy for the last 4 years. I'm at the end of my ropes with him walking 10 steps infront of me or 5 steps behind me its either walk with me hand in hand or find someone else.

- Response by tamarahope45, A Stay-at-Home Mom, Female, 36-45, Indianapolis, Home Maker

It depends. If a guy won't show any sort of affection whatsoever (i.e. no physical contact at all, holding hands or anything) then yes, something is probably off.
However if you mean kissing and such, then definitely not. I completely adore my girlfriend, and she's much hotter than me (i.e. definitely not ashamed) but I don't like kissing in public (more than a quick peck). It makes other people uncomfortable, and to me it's rude.
I have had cases where I was dating women that I wasn't all that into, and I didn't want to hold hands or have any kind of physical contact in public. Needless to say, those weren't exactly long relationships!

- Response by treat76, A Life of the Party, Male, 29-35, Atlanta, Technical