Question about the Edible arrangement fruit baskets.
Recipes & Food / 9:13 PM - Monday December 20, 2010

question about the Edible arrangement fruit baskets.

Hi everyone,

I have received a basket of fruit as a gift. I am wondering if it is possible to freeze some of it until later. There is so much fruit, that it will spoil in the refrigerator by the time I get to all of it. If it is possible please tell what to do so I don't ruin the fruit. Thanks

- Asked by sheltie11, An Environmentalist, Female, 66 or older

Sure you can freeze that lovely fresh fruit! If you can use a vac sealing bag, if not use a ziploc bag with all the air squeezed out. You can defrost in drinks or use in frozen slush/yogurt drinks made in a blender or just defrost and eat. Remember to date the day you freeze on bag. Enjoy.

- Response by busydeb7, The Cook, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

And, there lays the problem with this gift. Been there and done that.

You cannot freeze it. You either eat it, give it away or throw it away. Nobody can eat the amount of fruit that you get with that gift. It is expensive. It is delicious! But, it is wasteful.

Enjoy what you can... then I have one possible suggestion. I received my SECOND basket of this and I did freeze it. But, I froze it with the intent of using it in my blender to make fruit smoothies. It is not that bad for that purpose. That is the ONLY purpose I have ever thought of for this particular product. :(

If you decide to use it for that. You separate the fruit into four - six pieces each in a baggie. Otherwise they are difficult to get apart when frozen.

You put them in a blender with a bit of crushed ice and you can add water or fruit juice (whatever you have more of). You do not lose the vitamins. You just cannot maintain the physical integrity of the fruit to ever eat it, in the form you received it.

- Response by randyl, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

You certainly can freeze fruit but for best results you should slice it or prepare it as you would if you were preparing to eat it by removing rinds, pits, etc.. prior to freezing it. You can also try canning the fruit, which is a good idea if you like to make pies or dessert recipes including fruit. To freeze the fruit, place inside freezer bags, squeeze out excess air and freeze. Fruit is best preserved if you lie the bags completely flat during the initial freezing process. You can store frozen fruit in your freezer for up to 12 months.

Merry Christmas.

- Response by houseworkmakesyaugly, A Mom of Tweens, Female, 36-45

Freezing fruit is kind of difficult.

Depends on the kind of fruit and how you would want to use after you thaw it out.

You might be able to cook/bake with some fruit after it was frozen ... like bananas or apples.

But I don't think you really can freeze citrus. They would not be very appetizing after freezing.

- Response by mrscleaver16, Female, 56-65