Why do men dislike when women cry so much?
Friendship / 9:51 PM - Thursday December 16, 2010

All the guys I have talked to are like, I hate it so much when women cry I can't be in the same room with them, anytime I see water works coming I jetset out of there.

Why????

- Asked by Female, Who Cares?

It's usually because a man feels uncomfortable around that sort of thing, its this sort of awkwardness that makes them wanna run away because they don't know what to say or do to make her feel better. Not all guys do this though, I've had guy friends comfort me when i cry, they stay with me until my tears are all gone. Whereas ive had bf's who MAKE me cry, and dont give a rats arse and just leave me to it. Guys are all different, some are real gems and some are arse wipes. I think you just gotta assume in most cases, that a guy really just doesn't know what to do relieve the situation, so they leave you to cry it out. Some think it's better that way becuase they dont wanna be blamed for giving wrong advice or for making it worse. They play it safe. If all the guys you know do this, then you need new guy friends, lol.

- Response by metricstation, Female, 22-25, Melbourne

Because some of the tears are real, and some of them are just used to manipulate. Too many women use the latter, and men get tired of it.

- Response by awsum1, A Life of the Party, Male, Who Cares?, Chicago

I am a cryer. I hate it, but I am. And, in my opinion, it takes a real man to handle it. And, I am grateful that I have had so many GOOD MEN in my life.

I know how difficult it must be to figure out what tears are real, verses not. But, some of us just wear our feelings on our sleeve and cannot control it.

I am glad that some folks do NOT consider it a weakness. I think of it, as just caring more than most.

- Response by randyl, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles, Technical

You must spend quite a bit of time around guys who are jerks.

I've never had some man bolt out of a room due to my tears. On the contrary, they have held me at times, given me tissues, or maybe even wiped away a tear themselves.

- Response by ocelotspot, A Stay-at-Home Mom, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

They don't cry and they don't understand or know what to do when women cry. They are conditioned at a very young age not to cry (it makes them look like sissies or girls). The logic isn't fair. Women are allowed to freely express their emotions, but men have to suppress theirs.

- Response by jess2481, Female, 36-45, Cincinnati, Other Profession

It probably has to do with men wanting to fix everything. Or they are worried they will begin crying their eyes out too.

- Response by painter3459, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Self-Employed

Men see crying as a sign of weakness and they really don't know how to feel about it or how to understand it. Therefore, they would just rather not be around it......

Just my opinion.....

- Response by Female, 36-45, Self-Employed

Because they don't know how to deal with emotional women

- Response by hulagirl55, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Men run at the first sign of emotion because most of the time when a woman cries, it's because they've done something really wrong to cause it!

In other words, when you cry it makes them feel guilty as hell....lol

- Response by houseworkmakesyaugly, A Mom of Tweens, Female, 36-45

because they feel guilty, they know they are the reason for all our tears!! they just don't give a crap though

- Response by jojo914, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Men don't cry unless they are in an awful lot of pain. So when a woman they love starts to cry, they panic. They think maybe she is in a lot of pain, because for them that's the only reason they would cry. When they find out she's crying because she saw a dog die in a movie or she got a traffic ticket or those are tears of joy - they find it baffling. They may also suspect those are manipulative tears.

After being married to me for 13 years, my husband finally gets that just because I'm bawling over a sad movie it doesn't mean I'm going to die. He's figured out when it's serious and when it's not, at least for the most part.. but it took him a while to decipher this.

- Response by curvysmartgirl, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

Well I wouldn't say that my husband has to leave the room if I cry, but I mean it's understandable for crying to make people uncomfortable. I don't like it when even my kids cry, I comfort them, but that expression of pain tends to make others feel it too. My husband has cried in front of my and I've comforted him, and vice versa, but if it became a daily thing, it is understandable that he would not want to endure that.

- Response by sweetmama247, Female, 29-35, Buffalo, Home Maker

It's not so much we hate when women get emotional, but it gets irritating when they get melodramatic over everything. For instance, if a family member or a close friend died, her crying would be understanding. I can evey sympathize if her puppy died, but getting all sentimental because of some reality TV show can be unnerving. That's not as big a deal when they can't keep their damn mouths shut.

- Response by daugenstine, A Creative, Male, 29-35, Political / Government

i agree with what some of the guys said, its has to do with what they are crying about. If someone died or something, thats one thing, but sometimes women's tears flow too freely. I had a friend once start crying over a game of beer pong, because she thought people were cheating. I'm not saying she was being maniupulative, but it was a bit ridiculous. Was I going to sit there and comfort her? No. I left the room because it was stupid. i know some women supposedly can't control it, but the fact is, if you cry for no real reason all the time, then don't expect to keep getting sympathy. The tears should be reserved for real reasons. This whole thing reminds me of a quote from Homer Simpson. "Marge, why are you crying? you aren't in any physical pain, the only type of pain a man can understand?"

- Response by brando1002, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Chicago, Internet / New Media

Not sure about why men hate it when women cry. But I have to admit, I HATE it when MEN cry!!! Can't stand it! Makes me nearly sick to my stomach! And all I can think is WHIMP!!!

Maybe it is because my father was a hard-nosed SOB, no nonsense and certainly no crying! I only ever saw him cry one time, and that was after watching the movie Saving Private Ryan. My Dad had been in WWII and something about this movie hit home for him, but he would NEVER speak of the atrocities he witnessed during the war. Always sucked it up and kept it to himself.

But I digress...(sorry for the detour!)

- Response by tlstabile, Female, 36-45, Kansas City, Administrative

Because when a women is crying, she's usually unable to explain what's wrong, which makes the guy feel unable to help her, which hurts his pride.

- Response by mikehug, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Cleveland

Because guys want to "fix" it and they can't. It frustrates them.

- Response by blossoming1, Female, 46-55, Seattle, Civil Service

Men dislike women crying because it usually means the men have done something wrong or feel the need to fix whatever is wrong (whether or not he's to blame or not).

Some, but certainly not all, women use tears and crying to manipulate. That's another reason men want to jet when they see the water works.

- Response by clarkgriswold, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45

Because so many women use it as a tool for manipulation. I Have known a fe in my lie that if you filmed them using time lapsed photography...

...you would actually see the tears change direction, and roll back up into their eyes.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

it depends on the reason behind the tears for me. i don't deal with the bullshit tears. but if shes sad and needs someone to talk to fine. if i get into an argument and the water works start. i tell her to finish crying before we finish talking.

- Response by j3s5e, A Rebel, Male, 29-35, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

WOMENS TEARS ARE A fORM of BLACKMAIL< DonT PHASE ME ONE LITTLE BIT SO dRY THOSE EYES GIRLIE<

- Response by duggers, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older

Because 8 out of 10 times its Bullshit Theatrics

- Response by boxer1, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

Because it's manipulation. Crockodile tears.

- Response by llafsroh, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Boston, Science / Engineering

A lot of women use tears for control and manipulation. Men don't like it.

- Response by greenwind, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Construction

Even as a woman, I tend to agree with the men who find a lot of the tears to be manipulative and pure BS. I rarely cry, and if I do it's serious. Lots of my female friends can really put on the waterworks and it leaves me cold too. Save it for serious matters.

- Response by abitspoiled, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?