Why is my Christmas tree making crackling noises?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 4:02 PM - Tuesday December 14, 2010

My husband and I picked up a cut Christmas tree at a small farm this weekend. Later in the evening on the day we brought it inside (and put it directly into water) it started making crackling sounds. There is no squirrel, no infestation of insects exploding into our livingroom... what is this intermittent yet constant crackling noise that has been going on for over 2 days now (night and day, tree lights on or off, recently watered or about to be watered)?

My guess is that as the tree sucks up the water, it is still continuing to grow a bit, and as it does, the bark and limbs are stretching. Also, even though it is in water, most homes in the winter are drier than the outside humidity, and dry air will cause some shrinking of the bark and needles as well. This is why when you go to take it down after the holidays, the needles are shorter and needles go everywhere.

- Response by iowaczechartist, Female, 36-45

The Keebler Elves live in it?

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

It could be the sap

- Response by seasons4, An Retiree, Female, 46-55, Financial / Banking

It's drying out as it sits indoors and it could be the cones opening up. Check and see. I remember hearing mine do that and I was stumped as well.

;)

- Response by gettinslim45, Female, Who Cares?

I had that question a couple years ago. I asked some of the plant pathologists and they said it was all of the tree's plant tissue warming, softening and absorbing moisture. They said it was normal and wouldn't impact the needle retention or moisture uptake of the tree.

- Response by A New Mom, Female, 29-35