Should you always have matching lamps on the bedroom night stands?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 10:50 AM - Saturday November 27, 2010

My husband has a large dark colored lamp for his side and I'd like to have a pretty glass lamp. Should the lamps match or reflect the persons side of the bed?

I personally prefer to have matching lamps on each side of the bed. I like symmetry.

But this is *your* bedroom - so decorate it however you like.

- Response by piscesrising, Female, Who Cares?, Boston, Internet / New Media

Well, whose bedroom is it? Your husbands and yours or some lamp judging committee?

- Response by nysbikergirl, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I say yes, but your side should reflect you...but mismatched lamps stand out like an eye sore.

- Response by mobysdick, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

it's a departure from the "text book", but the bedroom is THE most personal of spaces in anybody's home. when 'two' people live together, there is no reason, per se, that their table lamps should not be at odds with each other... just as people often are. lol

- Response by two469, Female, 18-21, Seattle, Science / Engineering

It really doesn't matter. We just have 2 old lamps that were around the house.

- Response by greenwind, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Construction

Absolutely not - they do not have to match, unless you're a perfectionist. The bedroom is your private place, and can reflect each person's side - if you each had a special lamp that you received from a special person, this would be a perfect place to have them.

- Response by murphsandy, The Cook, Female, 66 or older, Retired

I always preferred matching lamps. However, perhaps for those who enjoy reading in bed, one of those decorative "end table" lamps, even with the brightest bulb, might not be bright enough and that individual may find it more useful having a different type of lamp that lends towards reading in bed alot more easily.

I don't think it's the end of the world that the lamps don't match...and a person's home is his/her castle. It should be comfortable. If really conscious about non-matching lamps, close the door, paricularly when you are entertaining guests.

- Response by pushkins, Female, 66 or older, Miami, Who Cares?

Absolutely you can have two different lamps and also look like a designing diva!! You do need to take your husbands lamp into consideration when choosing one for yourself. Take a picture of his before you go shopping. You want your lamps to compliment each other but mix & match a few other things in your room too. Maybe with art and pillows. For instance dark brown and blue look great together and you could easily play strong & soft with those colors. Pair something with the color of your husbands lamp on your nightstand. That will help balance both the nightstands. Re: glass will look lighter than the dark lamp on your husband's nightstand. I hope you get a beautiful glass lamp.

- Response by cozytoast, A DIY Expert, Female, 46-55, Self-Employed

Matching lamps would be more uniform and esthetically much nicer. Of course, you can do whatever you like but unless the lamps compliment each other... My suggestion is to compromise by getting a pair of glass lamps and pairing them with black shades.

- Response by samimolly, A Working Gal, Female, 56-65, New York, Fashion