Back to Home

Active Questions

I feel so hopeless, can't find work, scared I am going to loss my car. Don't know what do to.
Family & Relationships / 11:38 AM - Friday October 15, 2010

I feel so hopeless, can't find work, scared I am going to loss my car. Don't know what do to.

I have been out of work for 6 weeks, I applied for unemployment benefits, though it's not much it will be better then nothing which is what I have now. Though, I have not begin receiving any money and from what I understand it could be another two weeks.

I am a single parent with two boys. I have no family, few friends. I got help from local relief agency for my utilities this month, though they only help once every 6 months. I got food stamps started up. That is the all the help that I can find in this area.

My car insurance has lapsed as of Tues, I am scared to leave the house. My phones are soon to be disconnected and my car will be due for repo the 1st of the month.

All of this while I am trying to find work. There is no public transportation where I live, it's 10 miles to the main road. I just don't know what to do, I feel really hopeless, my boys depend on me and I feel like I am really letting them down .

Update: October 15, 2010.
Thank you all for your responds. I lost my job 6 weeks ago, though I applied for unemployment benefits right after and was told it would take 6 to 8 weeks. I have called and sent emails, I plan to go to the office on Monday. I applied for food assistance, so we have food. I own my home clear with no mortgage or rent, that I am thankful for. I got help with my utilities through united way, though that is all the help that is offered, and because of limited funds they can only help once every 6 months. I don't know of any agency's that help with transportation other then public transportation and I live too far out for that. I don't know how people get on welfare. When I applied for food stamps I ask to apply for everything I qualified for. As for my ex-husband paying support, he hasn't paid for 6 years, he moves around a lot , he is out of state now. I was always lucky enough to make good enough to support us so I never pushed it. Now in order for me to file for support I have to pa $25 fee which I don't any have that. I have no choice but to keep pushing, though I am at a complete lost as to what to do. I have never felt this lost and helpless in my life.

- Asked by Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Read more about the Rating System

try your local chruch....two weeks after unemployed you get a check..or so...i wish i could help but already got a dozen or so like you on my plate.

- Response by hwyrider, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Retired

Rating Received:

Why did you wait 6 months to apply for UI? All of this is unnecessary. There are literally a million people in long-term unemployment in my state, and UI is available to keep them afloat for the short-term. Go online and find the UI website for your state and start pushing buttons about what else is available. Call your utilities company, call your insurance company, call the local churches and ask for help.

- Response by siouxzen, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

Rating Received:

Community Rating: Community Star

Call the social services office, and ask them what you can do. You SHOULD be getting unemployment, child support, and you DO qualify for low cost housing, and welfare.
Move. Get into government housing, get help.

- Response by roaminginsomniac, Female, 46-55, Law Enforcement

Rating Received:

If you are a single mother with children why don't you qualify for welfare? Perhaps you need to move to somewhere that has jobs.

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Technical

Rating Received:

Good luck trying to find work. Its rally bad out there.

First rule --> don't vote for the socialist party that is destorying our economy.

- Response by greenwind, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, Construction

Rating Received:

Also remember that there are millions all over the world that are more impoverished and to be thankful for what you do have.

I would also recommend seeking out various women's shelters in your area.

Where is the father? Where is child-support? I would press that.

- Response by boggob, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Political / Government

Rating Received:

try getting help from the United Way or Salvation Army.

- Response by mobysdick, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

Rating Received: