Onion powder vs chopped fresh onion recipe calls for 1 chopped onion, i have onion powder, how much
Recipes & Food / 4:05 PM - Tuesday October 12, 2010

onion powder vs chopped fresh onion recipe calls for 1 chopped onion, i have onion powder, how much

recipe calls for 1 chopped onion, but I have onion powder. How much onion powder = 1 onion?

- Asked by kellykat41, A Single Gal, Female, 66 or older, Houston, Retired

Usually about one tablespoon. Doesn't the container of onion powder say?

- Response by utahmom, Female, 56-65, Managerial

There is no comparison in the taste between onion powder and a real onion. I'd go to the store to get one, or perhaps ask a neighbor if you could borrow one for that recipe. I surely wouldn't substitute one for the other. They do have frozen chopped onions in the grocery stores that you can keep in the freezer for later use. Keep that on hand the way you do the powder - each one has specific uses.

- Response by murphsandy, The Cook, Female, 66 or older, Retired

I'm no Julia Child, but on the other hand, I know my way around the kitchen... Often times when I don't have an onion, I need to also use onion powder. I'm not exactly sure how much onion powder would equal an entire onion, but I usually add approx 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp.. Also this depends on how much I'm cooking and what I'm cooking, as well.. Good luck!

- Response by suzyscorp, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?