Back to Active Questions

Allergic to milk and hates soy milk.
Weight & Wellness / 10:33 PM - Monday September 06, 2010

Allergic to milk and hates soy milk.

My grandson has developed a severe allergy to milk. No cheese or even yogurt is allowed. I added kool-aid to the soy and he drank it. Has anyone else had this experiance or have a suggestion besides kool-aid?

Update: September 06, 2010.
Thanks galdeen for the extra info you sent:)

Update: September 06, 2010.
Thanks, I should have clarified that I am concerned about his calcium intake and like any kid, loves cereal. I am giving him the brand "Silk". He always had a slight problem with a scratchy throat. About two weeks ago he started choking and now requires an Epi-pen.

- Asked by foreal, Female, 56-65, Who Cares?

It might take him a while to get a taste for the soy milk.
I tend to lean way into the healthy side so it may sound extrema to suggest frozen berries, fresh fruit, a teaspoon of frozen orange juice a little maple syrup if you have some.
Vanilla soy , rice or almond milk with any little amount of juice might tempt him.

Sorry that he has such and allergy , it make things difficult for you and him.

- Response by morningdust, Female, 56-65, Self-Employed

almond milk
rice milk-- vanilla flavored

add choclate or vanilla to the soy

my son is allergic too

- Response by galdeen, Female, 36-45, Administrative

Chocolate or vanilla soy milk is awesome. Try almond milk as well. Also, try lactaid if he isn't lactose intolerant. I am so I drink that and It's awesome. Tastes like milk minus the lactose.

- Response by sillysquids2, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

It almost seems as if every child born beginning in the 1970's were all allergic to milk. My sister always fed her kids Similac when they were babies.

I think that on the positive side, it is a good opportunity to condition a child to drink water.

While most kids I knew were drinking Kool aid (nasty stuff), I (unallergic to milk) had to drink water, because we were only allowed so much milk per day.

I didn;t like it too much then, but today I love water and I don;t have nay of the negative cravings or fall out from all that sugar.

- Response by buffer, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Los Angeles, Retired

Vanilla soymilk, almound milk, hemp milk, rice milk.

- Response by Female, Who Cares?

Sorry to hear he is allergic to milk, how about Silk Soymilk in vanilla flavor or the vanilla flavored almond milk is delish!

- Response by hulagirl55, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

I've been allergic to milk my entire life....It took years to learn to deal with it, truthfully I can't stand soy.

I pretty much just got into eating lots of fruits, vegetables, chicken, beef, fish, bison and lamb. I learned over time how to cook meals and food without milk.

It was a hard adjustment and chocolate is the hardest thing to get over..

Best suggestion I have is keep trying different foods, flavors and recipes until you find foods he likes. It's not quick or easy it took me
the better part of 20 years from a young child until my late 20's before I found what works. I was always underweight.

Now I find I like cooking and food to much and in the past few years have started to gain weight to the point I finally have a little belly that I need to work on.

- Response by tj03, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

Try almond milk, yogurt, or just a calcium supplement, they come in chews kind of like starburst. He will love them. There are many sources of calcium other than milk. Also most multivitamins come with Calcium in it.

- Response by lokipr, Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental