How do I get the smell and stain of a rotted potato out of a unfinished handmade wooden bowl?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 2:28 PM - Wednesday September 01, 2010

I have a unfinished wooden bowl that I have some produce sitting in. A potato at the bottom rotted. I removed it but now the smell is terrible. I have tried washing it with mild detergent, put baking soda in it to remove the odor, let it air outside, but nothing seems to work. It is also stained but I can live with that if I have to, but not the awful odor.

Update: September 03, 2010.
Thanks for all the hints on how to remove the odor...I had already tried some of them but I think using salt and lemon juice worked the best. I also used Murphy's Oil soap to wash it out. I set it in the sun to dry and air out. There still is a faint odor but much improved. I don't think the stain it left is going away but I usually have something in there which will hide it.

- Asked by Female, 56-65, Administrative