Back to Active Questions

What type of patients get prescribed ''Medical Marijuana?''
Weight & Wellness / 9:46 PM - Sunday August 22, 2010

I'm only asking because I've had a few chat pals in here and in facebook telling me that with my daily pain and yet no diagnosis till September 13th..that I should try it...that it may do wonders for me/lol...Going by what my Doctor told me that I could have Fibromyagia or Rheumatoid Arthristist..Do patients with these 2 illnesses get prescibed Marijuana? Just for the record...uhm never mind/LOL

- Asked by dolphace, Female, 36-45

Chronic pain from RA and fibromyalgia are both problems that have been treated with medical marijuana.

And medical mj is a much safer treatment than other stuff they give out for pain and nerve damage (like Neurontin--it can cause paralysis for heaven's sake--mj has NO side effects).

Also, mj is a good treatment for glaucoma--it is safer than the drops that are often prescribed for it.

- Response by electragold21, Female, 29-35, New York, Teaching

Yes, you could get prescribed medical marijuana for both conditions and MS too. It is prescribed for many reasons, most often for PAIN but not limited to.

Chemo Patients were the first to receive it from doctors. Then they discovered that it remedied more than nausea. It is used to stimulate appetite, relieve chronic pain, and treat asthma and migraines.

* Holds particular promise for alleviating nausea and vomiting in people undergoing chemotherapy.

* Shows potential for improving severe weight loss (wasting) caused by AIDS.

* Holds usefulness for chronic pain that does not respond to traditional opoids (Morphine, etc.).

A medical use of marijuana has also been shown to lower intraocular pressure (IOP) in patients with primary open-angle Glaucoma.

This is just a brief outline of conditions that marijuana has helped folks with.

- Response by randyl, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles, Technical

It's usually prescribed to cancer patients to ease discomfort associated with chemotherapy and radiation treatments.

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

Yes girl, we do...

Here in Calif, RA and Chronic Pain are both considered to be legitimately treated by Cannabis...

And yes, I do...

- Response by siouxzen, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

my neighbor has fibro and she has a med marijuana card

- Response by galdeen, Female, 36-45, Administrative

Sorry for your pain P..where was this card when I was doing chemo..check with your doctor..a prayer goes out to You! ;.]

- Response by cjs1991, Female, 46-55, Teaching