What exercises are good for the "spare tire" around the waist?
Weight & Wellness / 2:40 PM - Monday July 12, 2010

I have lost 35 pounds the last year and am pretty satisfied with my weight, except for the "spare tire" that is developing around my waist. I am looking for some exercises specifically for that problem. Thanks!

- Asked by A Budget-minded, Female, 56-65, Indianapolis, Medical / Dental

In my experience, that spare tire has more to do with diet than exercise. Not diet as in calories, but as in not eating things one is allergic to (kn my case, wheat and most cooking oils).

The best way to find out what may be your spare tire makers is to see a Naturopath for a full dietary survey.

Good luck!

- Response by trawna, Female, 46-55, Toronto, Consulting

seriously .. it is WALKING....walking is the best exercise anyone can do.. you actually work every part of your body... i tones up so tight while walking and i walked with 3 pnd weights as my arms got a hell of a workout.. i didn't see the weight myself.. but other's were like really noticing it, and also going down in size when trying my clothes on.. go for it.. and as the weather is warmer definetly carry a bottle of water with you..

- Response by mburgos, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Who Cares?

Planks are the ticket you are seeking. Both regular and side planks.

All you need is a floor. Lay on the floor on your stomach. Raise up on your fore arms and your toes. Your body should be flat -- like a plank with only your forearms and toes touching the floor. Hold for sixty seconds if you can. Relax. Repeat five times. Add burn to the exercise by first lifting one leg and then the other (one legged planks).

Side planks are done on your side (duh!).

Do these for fifteen minutes every day while watching stupid TV. I guarantee you will see a big difference in 30 days.

I love my planks for keeping my old gut tighter than a twenty year old.

- Response by utahmom, Female, 56-65, Managerial

Google it. You'll probably find plenty of ideas and then you can send them to me...LOL!!!

- Response by pushkins, Female, 66 or older, Miami, Who Cares?

exercisetv.com has plenty of workout videos that target the area you want to improve.

- Response by le_gem735713, Female, 29-35, Miami, Who Cares?

Situps, walking on a road with an incline, running,..I have a flat stomach and have maintained it this way for years. Rosey

- Response by roseytalks, Female, Who Cares?, Tampa, Who Cares?

Diet and exercise is the key as it is a neverending battle as we age. You have to eat smaller, healthier portions, less red meat, more lean meat and yogurt, nuts, strawberries, having a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar every day. Also core exercises, like planks that someone mentioned, crunches as well as leg lifts are good (both hands palm down under your glutes, lift both legs straight up to a 90 degree angle and bring them back down 1 inch from the floor - do that 20 times)

- Response by hulagirl55, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

If your core is strong, the spare tire is weight-related. I'm a trainer. Try a Pilates class that works on the core to make sure it is strong, then concentrate on the weight issue. Also check your BMI and if you are over 25 it is a weight issue. If you are under 25, then probably core work is needed. Crunches, oblique crunches, leg-out crunches, Pilates rolls - get a book on abs and core and do 15 minutes of work. Also try Gliding - a workout using disks that you can do in your home. www.dynamixmusic.com carries them. Great all over workout (about 35 minutes for the basic) and separate workouts for abs/core. Good luck.

- Response by A Budget-minded, Female, 66 or older, Retired