How do you remove yellow stains from linoleum flooring
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 3:43 PM - Saturday June 05, 2010

how do you remove yellow stains from linoleum flooring

yellow stains from throw rugs on linoleum flooring

- Asked by icantwa8t, A New Mom, Female, 46-55

You can't. Its permanantly discolored, like what bleach does to fabric. I had that issue in my house, when I bought it.

The only thing you can do, is keep the stains covered with rugs, or replace the floor. I did the first for awhile, then the second. :)

- Response by mamom04, Female, 56-65, Phoenix

Linoleum flooring is made from raw materials, including linseed oil. When this oil is blocked from the sunlight it begins to oxidize and can change colors. The continual covering of floor mats and rugs can hasten this process. In many cases, it is possible to remove these stains with a few simple steps. The first thing you need is sunlight. Since the lack of light is what causes the stains, the easiest way to remove them is to introduce light to the area. Remove the rugs and allow the yellowed areas some time in the sunlight/daylight. The length of exposure time will depend largely on how long the areas have been covered and how yellowed the areas have become. If you don't have the patience to wait for that to work you can always try the baking soda method. Wet the entire area with plain water, sprinkle baking soda over the yellowed area and allow it to set for at least 10-15 minutes and then wipe the baking soda up. (It may take several applications to remove the yellow areas if they are deeply discolored.)

To avoid having the stains come back you can either keep the rugs up so the areas can get sunlight regularly or you can wash your floors with baking soda weekly.

- Response by houseworkmakesyaugly, A Mom of Tweens, Female, 36-45