Your biological child Vs Spouse
Family & Relationships / 11:43 PM - Friday June 04, 2010

Your biological child Vs Spouse

Hypothetically, you can only save one in a life or death moment. Would you save your biological child (not step child) or your spouse?

- Asked by curiouswoman, Female, 46-55, Science / Engineering

The child since is a product of bouth the spouse and you.

- Response by darkflyer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 29-35, Who Cares?

Spouse

- Response by llafsroh, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Boston, Science / Engineering

My child... I hope my child outlives me. I think my spouse would prefer that too.

- Response by melmac, Female, 29-35

That's easy .. My child, with out a second thought.

- Response by marika62, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

My spouse. I'd be nothing without him. We could always have another kid. (At least if we were still young). Of course, I've never been pregnant or had a kid before, so maybe I'd say differently otherwise.

- Response by helayna, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

Definitely the child. Hell most adults can save themselves from various situations a lot quicker than a child could that might just be paralyzed with fear and haven't a clue as to what to do.

- Response by CursedRomantic, Female, 26-28, Columbus, Student

My child definetly. I have a hard time fully trusting a man. They could cheat on me or betray me at anytime but my child that I created will always be a part of me. I couldn't imagine my life without her. I could always find another husband....if I ever get married in the first place.

- Response by misskitty420, Female, 29-35, Student

If it were me, and had only one agonizing choice, it would be my biological child hands down. I brought the child into the world and it is my responsibility to make sure that my child is safe and nurtured. The stepchild would be next in line and the spouse would be last because of being an adult.

- Response by blossoming1, Female, 46-55, Seattle, Civil Service

I'd save my child(ren) and I'd want my husband to do the same if he were put into a situation where he'd have to decide.

- Response by houseworkmakesyaugly, A Mom of Tweens, Female, 36-45

This is one of those questions that people can have an answer for at the momement but could very easily have a different response to "in the moment". It also has different answers from an emotional aspect vs a logical aspect. Overall, I married my spouse and made a commitment. I promised to love and protect her and have her as my LIFE partner. For our children, there is not that same promise made publicly and religiously. Yes, there is a great instinct and desire to protect our children, but realistically we never take religious and legal vows for our children. That being the case, I would believe I owe it to my spouse to put her number 1. Without her, the child would not even be here. Obviously, having to make this choice could be psychologically devestating, but if the choice MUST be made, and there is NO other way -- then I would most likely save my spouse -- my sworn life partner. On the other hand, it might make a difference what kind of mood I was in that day -- was she nice to me that morning or were we fighting?! -- I suppose the true "state" of the marriage/relationship might make a difference for some. If my wife had recently "cheated" on me, I might respond differently. Hmmm. It does get interesting when you think of all the different scenarios. Bottom line: This is not a question that most people can truly answer until they are truly faced with having to make this decision -- until then it's just speculation. Fortunately, very few of us will ever have to face this decision. Allow me to look from a different perspective: If my wife is in the delivery room and the Doc says, "I can only save the baby, or your wife" then it will more than likely be my wife. In that light, it would always, more than likely, be my wife before my child. Again, fortunately, very few people really have to make that decision. It would really suck!

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, San Diego