Back to User's Profile

Why do people get mad or offended when they are stared at?
Random & Fun / 2:33 AM - Sunday May 16, 2010

I sometimes day dream and don't realize where or what I'm staring, and then I hear "Hey wha u lookn at?" I thought this was a free country. But why should it be an insult?
For some that get mad that someone stared at you, you should feel honored that someone found something entertaining to look at.

- Asked by alexandra2hot, Female, 26-28, Administrative

A smile is a smile in every language; so is a stare. None ever turned away from a friendly smile; whereas a stare is offensive to all.

- Response by thedaimler2006, Female, 56-65, Atlanta, Self-Employed

Interesting point of view. It depends how people stare at you. If someone is glaring and frowning at you it makes you uncomfortable. Certain people bring out uncomfortable vibes from themselves. I don't mind people staring but people frowning or glaring? That is uncomfortable. I live in the city and ride the subways and notice how people stare at each other for different reasons.

- Response by allyirls, Female, 29-35, New York, Fashion

depends on what your staring at. If someone is having a hard time dealing with something in public and everyone is staring at them then it makes them feel even more uncomfortable. If its just a walk on by look and they get mad then its the person staring with the problem unless its that type of stare that is to personal for a their program.

- Response by diglebe2, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

Well it bothers me when I get stared at like that, because I don't know what they're thinking. I could have a booger hanging out of my nose or something, and them not tell me, just stare

- Response by proudmom88, Female, 26-28, Atlanta

Staring is considered rude because it normally makes you feel uncomfortable and self-concious.

Add a smile, and it's a whole different ball game.

...:)

- Response by bluegenel, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, Who Cares?, Technical

The favortie passtime of most folks is PEOPLE WATCHING. It always has been and always will be.

If you just ASSUME people are looking at you for a positive reason, all your ill feelings should go away.

It is only human nature to watch each other. :)

- Response by randyl, Female, 36-45, Los Angeles, Technical

...and I use to be one of those that got mad at someone staring, but now, it is all good, cause I give them something to look at...
And you are right, just because someone is looking in your direction, does not mean that they are actually 'looking' at you, for in their mind's eye, they could be on a beach in another country!

- Response by kismet331, Female, 36-45

As kids we were taught it was rude to stare but, Add a smile and yu have a whole new situation.

- Response by duggers, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older

Sometimes people feel like they are being judged when they find someone staring at them and this makes them become defensive.

- Response by foxbuddah, Female, 22-25, Medical / Dental