Is it okay to turn my toilet valve back on even though the water keeps running?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 1:51 PM - Saturday May 01, 2010

So I get up this morning and my sister leaves a note in my bathroom "turn toilet back on before you use it". I have no idea what or where to turn it on. I look at see the only thing is the valve and I try to turn that on. But at first I must have the wrong way because I didn't or couldn't turn it back on.

I had no idea she meant that the toilet was shut off and had no idea why she did it. She wasn't specific.

So then I do eventually (later) turn it on but I am not sure what is going on. (I am not a plumber) But then I manage to let the bowl fill up enough so I can flush the toilet. But I shut it off again because I am not sure if they water will keep going or stop once it reached the top of the bowl.

Will it keep going or stop if I turn the valve on again? I don't want nothing to overflow.

(...and no i can't call a plumber because I rent an apartment townhome). I am sure it is fine but I am just not sure to leave the toilet on. Is it supposed to do this?

- Asked by ellekassia26, Female, 29-35, Home Maker

Yup had the same problem but it wasn't the flapper. Also there is no ball float in my tank but there some kind of floatation device that has a metal pole attached to it. On the metal pole there is a metal clip which you can squeeze a little tighter together with a thingamajig (you know the thing that looks like a big gripper). Flush the toilet and watch the water level as it rises. There is a line inside that says 'waterline' (at least in mine) and there is where the water should stop if this little metal clip is ok. I fixed this myself by standing there and continually flushing til I figured what made the floater stop at the right place. Feels good to be independant~~!! you go girl.

- Response by englishrose4945, Female, 66 or older, Miami, Alternative Medicine

The fill valve inside the toilet tank may be leaking, which is why you'll hear it re-filling all the time. To stop that, turn off the water inlet valve below the tank. That might be what your sister meant. It may take several turns to close.
These valves are usually cheap plastic, and they'll break after a while if you keep opening and closing them.

- Response by chesterdad, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, San Francisco

It wont overflow but will keep running water into the top tank and drain into an outlet pipe thats in there. Just would keep wasting water. Buy a kit from wal mart and replace the parts that come in it. Cheap and really simple. A plumber will cost a lot!!

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 66 or older, Consulting

Do a web search for 'how to fix a toilet'...there is a Home Depot link there that will give you the 411 on how to take care of this. 8 out of ten times its a simple adjustment to stop the constant flow into the tank....and the overflow pipe.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

why don't you just pour water in the tank leave the valve off

- Response by misdestar, Female, 36-45, Self-Employed

yeah-if it keeps running it usualy means the water in the top tank keeps leaking out...usually from the 'flapper' thingy at the bottom not closing all the way.
Take the top off, Turn the valve back on and see what it's doing...

Also-if you're renting, is there a maintenance person you can call?

- Response by redman1, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Fitness