I don't want to live past the age of 50
Sex & Intimacy / 11:26 PM - Saturday April 10, 2010

I don't want to live past the age of 50

I seriously don't.

I look at women over 50 and I've never known one with a life I would ever want to have.

They're all unattractive and invisible and men never notice them or pay them any attention, even the ones their same age and older are all going after younger hotter women.

The ones that are single can't ever find a man and the married ones have husbands cheating on them.

They are all bitter, angry and stuffy with bad attitudes. They never seem to smile or have any fun with life. They just get all wrapped up in their jobs, their pets or their group of same age female friends that are just as sorry as they are.

Or they don't have any lives of their own and just exist to watch their kids and grandkids carry on their lives.

They are usually overweight and even when they're not they still dress in ugly frumpy granny clothes and have hideous bad haircuts.

Most of them don't like sex, don't want to have it, and that might be a good thing for them since they're so unsexy that no man would ever want to get down with them anyway. And why would they when they can get hot sexy 20, 30 or even 40 year olds that are better looking and not so bitter about life?

All they want to do is talk about their health problems, their kids, their jobs and if they are married they complain about their husbands. Most of them don't even share the same bed with their husbands if they are married, so no wonder he's out shagging some younger hot thing.

What I don't get is, I know some fabulous elderly women in their 70s, 80s and 90s that are funny and fun to be around. They smile and laugh and don't have huge chips on their shoulders. They are very endearing and have interesting things to say. I don't know if it's the generational difference or what, but I've never met a woman in her 50s or 60s that's been even remotely enjoyable to talk to and wasn't bitter and sour faced walking around looking like they're constipated.

And I look at them and think, if this is what I have to look forward to, just shoot me and put me in a box when I hit 49.

So seriously, does anyone have a better perspective on being a female that age? An outlook more positive? Because I'm not seeing much to look forward to.

- Asked by Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

Life after 50...

I am truly sorry that your MOTHER is so thorougly miserable.

I assure you that this is not the norm.

For many men and women out there, life is just getting started. For many out there, the best years of their life are yet to occur, AT THE AGE OF 50.

I am not sure where your reference is coming from, but I can tell you this:

THEY LIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

- Response by randyl, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

The way that life is, there is not much to look forward to.
And some older females, are very childlike, enjoying things that they did not get to enjoy at a young age.

- Response by kismet331, Female, 36-45

I'll just be SO happy... if I could go through MY life,
without having to meet you with your negative attitude.

- Response by fehkarfight, A Couch Potato, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?

Now if we could only get some of the 45+ male regulars right here on Answerology to agree with the remedy suggested by your post, this site would really improve. Thanks for the post! :)

- Response by electragold21, Female, 29-35, New York, Teaching

This is why men go for the younger women. It isn't just the tight, perfect bodies. Alot of it is the attitudes. Younger women have a rosier outlook.

- Response by newyorkjoe, A Career Man, Male, 36-45, Lawyer

I think that you only have "to look forward to" what you are laying the foundation for now.

If you only see and concentrate on the women who are negative, ugly....etc....then you are heading towards that same journey.....

but you even said this yourself...

"I know some fabulous elderly women in their 70s, 80s and 90s that are funny and fun to be around. They smile and laugh and don't have huge chips on their shoulders. They are very endearing and have interesting things to say. "

Those woman did not pass over their 50s and 60s.......they were the happy and energetic woman that YOU ARE NOT SEEING NOW....

YOU are the designer of your life......as they are of theirs......Find the joy in the world,,,,,,,make it a better place for those around you, and I KNOW you will be a wonderful happy 50...60....70 year old woman.

- Response by zibet58, Female, Who Cares?, Teaching

Odd... my grandmother is in her 60s and although she can be quite senile at times, but considering my grandfather was dying from bone cancer, then kidney failure, and she was diagnosed with breast cancer and is currently going through chemo.... she seems pretty damn happy! :) Only really thanks to my mom and I, though. The rest of the family seems to have an attitude similar to yours.

I think you need to find yourself some different old ladies to talk to.

- Response by frankemix, Female, 22-25, Student

LMFAO

I am 51 and living more of the life I want to live than I ever did. I travel, hike, kayak, rappel, party, and even still do some roofing.

true, the physicality is not that of a younger woman, but there are many compensations.

I am more confident and comfortable in my own skin than I ever was. I've forgotten half of what I know and still know more than most people. I am funny as hell--and most things ARE funny!

I have a sex life many people would envy and am with a very handsome man my own age. I've been asked out by quite a few younger men, but am not interested for the same reason many men are not interested in younger women--they want people on par with them in life experience and perspective.

You have a rather skewed version of middle aged women.

- Response by kdare, Female, 46-55, Buffalo, Other Profession

I am 49 and I couldn't be happier! My boyfriend of almost 2 years is 10 years older than I am. We are both divorced from marriages of over 20 years. Our collective children are grown with their own lives. Neither one is us have grandkids. I am not fat, no health issues and I have enough money to be comfortable. My house is paid off, my suv is paid off. I get compliments all of the time when I've told anyone that my oldest is 27. They cannot believe that I am old enough to have a son that age. I've taken care of my body and face (I always use sunscreen and my face is not full of wrinkles or aged looking.)Oh, and I love sex too!

My s/o and I talk about getting married some day. Currently we are having a great time. We went on 2 Caribbean cruises last year and we are doing the same this December. We ride his motorcycle and we are just having such a great time together.

The reason for my life's story is that YOU make your life what you want it to be. When I was young I had 2 fat aunts and a fat grandma. I vowed to myself that I would not become fat, and I didn't!

You are very young. Do not give up on your life before you really start it!

- Response by kath3015, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

You say you don't see any that has a life you'd want to have. Well, right now, you obviously don't have a happy life yourself. Which is a shame considering how young you seem to be. Young women that have great lives don't spend so much time sounding like negative, pessimistic, insecure, fearful, bitter, angry, stuffy, young women with a bad attitude that YOU seem to be exhibiting with this post. You certainly don't sound like someone I'd want to talk to, because you sound bitter, sour, and talk like a nag that's constipated. The positive outlook is to understand that many infants, toddlers, children, teenagers, and young adults die before they have a chance to live their lives. You can't speak for all women 50 and over and their experiences. Many are happy, have lived full lives, and are enjoying an empty nest. There is good and bad happening at different stages of every demographic of people's lives. There are young couples who experience cheating, not being able to have children, unhappiness, that are obsessed with their looks, and aren't satisfied. And, many living their lives in desperation looking to be loved.

This isn't exclusive to older women. It's really sad that you're so unhappy and you want to project that onto older people, who are probably living a better life than yourself right now. People who have it going on in their own lives would never sit here writing this crap about people you don't know and can only speculate about. While I'm sure there are some that are in that age range who are experiencing what you've stated here. You can't assume that's the majority. It appears you're watching too much television and what the media shows. Getting old is a part of life. How happy you are when you reach certain ages have a lot more to do with the decisions you make at the age you are. Why are you worrying and focusing on a part of your life that, at the least, is 29 years away? How happy does this suggest your life to be today? You see, some people aren't any happier than the 50 and up women, at your age too. I can understand why you want to end it at 49. Can you imagine if you're already feeling like the women you've described here at your present age, what the hell you'll be like at 50?

- Response by thelovedovefor1, Female, 46-55, Atlanta, Who Cares?

Aren't you little Miss Suzy Sunshine?

- Response by seductivepisces9, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Zibets's answer was brilliant.

To that, I can only add: Ask those fabulous elderly women you know what their outlook was 20, 30 or 40 years ago and listen.

It might also do you good to open your eyes a bit more and pay closer attention to the women you're judging. Some of those bitter, angry women you referred to might actually be 35 year olds who have just had hard lives. Do you want to hang it all up at 35? I sure hope not.

Meanwhile, some of those apparantly "hot 30-somethings" might actually be hot 50-somethings who decided at age 18-21 that age is pretty much just a number.

And, if you consider 50+ women like Michelle Pfeiffer, Madonna, Angela Bassett, Denise Austin, Meryl Streep, Valerie Bertinelli, Meredith Viera and countless others to be bitter, sour-faced and constipated looking old hags, I feel very sorry for you and your narrow perspective.

- Response by uniquelyme2, Female, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer

Assisted suicide is legal in some places. So on your 49th birthday, buy yourself a one-way ticket to destiny and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

I really think it's the attitude that you take about growing older. Some women don't look forward to that time and others like me try to have a positive attitude about life. I know I'm older but I am wiser, know what I want out of life, try to take life as it comes and try to eat smaller healthier portions. I try to take care of myself and stay fit.

- Response by hulagirl55, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

I got to know a woman on Friday who is a great grandmother. She's probably about 70 years old, beautiful, vivacious, loves to shop, really enjoys her life. She is and has been separated from her husband for about 10 years, at least, he's a Vietnam veteran and she never knows where he is from day to day. She has a son who's an alcoholic and yet she is one of the most upbeat people.
You are young; when 50 is creeping up on you, you will see the beauty of becoming an older woman, and the things that you have to look forward to...grandchildren, retirement, etc. Take good care of yourself and you will also be a beautiful, mentally healthy older woman!

- Response by cakelady, Female, 46-55, Denver, Food Service

You couldn't be more wrong! I will be 60 this year, don't look it or feel it and don't dwell on it. People, guys are genuinely shocked when they ask my age - I watch their responses when I tell them. Age really is in the mind, I have a good figure, good sense of humour, good skin and I'm still very attractive and dress with elegance. True, their are some people who dress dowdily and have a hairstyle befitting their years and think 'old' - not me - NEVER! I also get loads of attention from guys of all ages and enjoy every second of it! No, age is not going to stop me at all! I have just come back from India, last year it was Italy, I went alone and had more fun than I even had when I was younger, the art is to use what every age brings to you, experience of life - and use it to the hilt! I go for younger men, not because I'm trying to turn back the years and be silly about it but because I am young at heart, guys take me for middle forties and I love it, no, age is just a number for me, its a question of feeling attractive and good about yourself, that's all, I have brought up my children and now its time for me to concentrate on me and I am determined to grow up as disgracefully as possible!!!

- Response by heatherjune123, Female, 56-65, London, Who Cares?

I'm a man who will be 50 in a few years (I'm 46)...
And I agree 100%. I already had a great life!
Now it's over. Why live to be an old, ugly man?
I was a handsome, strong, popular, young man!
I had hot, young girlfriends until 40... Now I'm past my prime and alone.
I wouldn't want a woman my age anyways!
So I threw in the towel on love!
I don't even like being this old... F' being even older!
Shoot me in the head ASAP.

- Response by An Retiree, Female, 46-55