Why Would Anyone feel Too Ugly To Even Leave The House???
Weight & Wellness / 4:08 PM - Thursday March 18, 2010

Isn't this far more than discontentment with your physical features?

- Asked by prettismile, Female, 26-28, Artist / Musician / Writer

Not necessarily. If one is not blessed with much in the "looks department" sometimes it's just easier to stay in the house than to go out and face the world. It actually takes brains to know where you fit in (or don't fit in) in the world.

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

Definitely a self esteem problem. Not very comfortable, huh?

- Response by stoney07, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 66 or older, Who Cares?

I think it sounds like she needs counselling. I've struggled with depression most of my life, and I've been there. It's not a matter of ugliness, necessarily. It's self-image. When it's that bad, it's time to get help.

- Response by goodgirlgonewild, Female, 26-28, Home Maker

ok. what is ugly? If someone feels ugly they evidently are comparing themselves to what is to be believed to be beauty. If no one left the house cause they felt ugly there would not be too many people on the streets, would there be? Back to comparing.....if we compare ourselves to others such as beauty or any other task they may or may not do better, we must realize that there are people who have nicer features and some that don't have features as nice as ours or some do as good as a task or do not do as good as a certain task but the point is when we compare we become bitter. We must realize there are greater and lesser and to compare will make us bitter. Now some people as you may know of yourself seem to have more confidence and you might even think to yourself "where do they get off, they are not so beautiful" So beauty actually is in the eyes of the beholder including our own eyes. I dated woman who would not leave the house unless her make-up was touched up or her lipstick was touched up but is that a total different area than what we are discussing? In a way yes and a way no. No one should ever feel not worthy to leave the house and if so there are all types of things for us to do to make us feel-or look better about ourselves. To me we are all beautiful in our own way...God Bless.

- Response by cobanlacepc, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Pittsburgh, Who Cares?

Yes, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and all that good stuff but the reality is that attractive people are treated very differently from those who are not viewed by the masses as beautiful/handsome. People who look "different" get stared at/talked about and if that was the case you might not want to leave the house either.

I'm not saying that's what's going on with the original poster but yes; I think feelings about physical appearance are enough to keep some people out of the public eye.

Seeing as you have a very pretty face, it might be hard for you to imagine what it feels like to have severely damaged self esteem because of the way you look ;)

- Response by surrealoptimism, Female, 29-35

Sometimes i have felt that i am ugly, but i have never felt so ugly that i wouldn't go out.

I can see how some people can feel this way. Usally when people are feeling ugly it's because they are depressed, but may not even know that they are depressed. And that's where the discotentment for their body's come from.

I don't think that anyone should be discontented with their apperance.

Everyone's appearence is unic to them, and should be proud of themselfs.

- Response by Female, 29-35, Who Cares?