Where can I find a place that will teach me how to apply makeup and what makeup to buy?
Style & Beauty / 2:12 PM - Thursday March 04, 2010

I am 28 and have never worn makeup. I am tired of looking frumpy. I don't even know where to start. I have never learned how to pick out makeup or apply it. Please help.

- Asked by Female, 29-35, San Francisco

Any store that sells makeup (there is one in any shopping center, really) will offer you a consultation for a fee. The chain stores will usually charge around $30 or $40 (but they will hope you buy all the makeup they try on you, of course). It's worth it because they will teach you to apply it. When I went, they did 1/2 my face and let me do the other 1/2 to learn the application techniques.

- Response by sweetiebug01, Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

find a Mary Kay or Avon Lady. I have a friend who does Mary Kay and she does this often.

- Response by hubbyochris, A Life of the Party, Male, 46-55, Cleveland, Executive

Google: How to apply make up.

- Response by clueless37, Female, 36-45, Celebrity

You don't have any girlfriends that could help you?

- Response by sunshine26, Female, 29-35, Los Angeles

Find a M.A.C. Store. You can test all the products and they will show you how to apply it. Otherwise, try department stores cosmectics counters as well.

- Response by ashmcawesome, Female, 29-35

if you want to get a more expensive, good quality make-up like Lauren Hutton, Bella Pierre, or Bare Minerals, they'll come with step by step chats showing you where to apply the make up, and they do a good job matching your skin tone.
If you'd rather get department store makeup maybe try taking a friend with you. You have to make sure you get the right color for foundation or else you'll have lines, and eye shawdows mascara, eyeliner, and blush can all get confusing.
Maybe try doing a google search for charts and diagrams that will help you out.
Good Luck!

- Response by Female, 22-25, Student

any good quality department store has a cosmetics counter that will teach you how to apply it. If you can't afford it, you don't have to buy their makeup but you can still get a lesson.
Then purchase similar makeup somewhere else.

- Response by beanielou, Female, 29-35, Halifax, Who Cares?

Just go to any department store in your city or Sephora and you can even make an appt to have your make up done for Free!! If you go to Clinque and you don't like the results go to Lancome or another counter. That is their job! to help you look your best with their products. Hey and it is fine to mix lines, I use Clinque Makeup, Laura Geller eyeshadow, Lauder products...etc. Clinque is a good line to start with as it is not expensive in the least. Good luck.

- Response by kmf1, Female, 46-55, Minneapolis, Who Cares?

For a start, make up counters at the dept stores. They don't charge you for tips and they can tell you about coloring for your skin tone and tips for your facial structure and style. The key is not WHAT you use, but how to use it and what shades work best for your skin tone.

- Response by lioness21, Female, 29-35, Consulting