Do you think having your thyroid out of whack and Vitamin D deficiency can cause me to feel so sick?
Sex & Intimacy / 4:06 PM - Monday February 15, 2010

I finally got an answer from my doctor and he said that since my thyroid is out of whack and I have a pretty big Vitamin D deficiency that I could possibly not feel well for up to 6 weeks? Anyone have first hand knowledge about thyroid problems or Vitamin D?

- Asked by christinfusion22, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

Thyroid....yes...it will make you sick til it's under control....it affects almost everything in your body. Be careful and do what the doctor says.

- Response by lasttrueromantic, Female, 36-45, Teaching

my daughter-in-law has that problem but was diagnosed with hashimottos disease. i think i would go to an endocrinologist before settling on what my gp says. hashimottos is a lifetime diagnosis. and it can have some very critical problems if not treated properly. in fact some of them can cause death. see an endocrinologist to make sure that isn't what you jhave. and to make sure you are being treated properly.

- Response by silverbirch3x, Female, 56-65, Indianapolis, Retired

You have the first hand knowledge about thyroid and vitamin D. You should act upon the advice of the doctor.

- Response by A Guy Critical, Male, Who Cares?, Chicago, Who Cares?

It sure would make you sick.Try to get skin exposure to the sun.Most vitamin d is asorbed theu the sun.

- Response by frenchkiss49, Female, 56-65, Tampa, Who Cares?

im not sure about the vitamin d deficiency but if your thyroid is producing too much or too little it can mess you up. follow your doctors advice regarding medications. dont ignore it.

- Response by painless63, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 46-55

Ah, yes!

Hyperthyroidism will cause you to lose weight. Hypothyroidism will cause you to gain weight. There are also other symptoms that go with it like hair loss, fatigue, brittle nails, etc. It is a keep part to how your metabolism operates.

Lack of Vitamin D can cause other problems and cause bones to not be as strong as they should be.

All this combined, of course you're going to feel like crap. It's medication time to fix the thyroid and vitamin time to get what you need back to the right levels.

- Response by msadvise, Female, 46-55, Transportation

Sorry,The only thing I know about Vitamin D is we get it from sunshine and and in tablet form. Also it helps helps the body absorb calcium.
I kow next to nothing about the thyroid since I've never had a problem with mine.

- Response by mrsjack, Female, 66 or older

Vitamin D deficiency can be handled easily in a few days with supplements or exposure to sunlight. Your thyroid is another problem all together. You don't say if you are producing too much or too little hormone. Synthroid is one method of increasing your levels if you are producing too little but it can take a while to regulate and get the dosage just right. With your thyroid out of what there can be a number of symptoms. Weight gain, weight loss, tiredness, mood swings, Graves Disease (bulging eyes like a chihuahua among other things) hair loss etc. Your doctor or an endocrinologist can get you on your way to health.

- Response by hnimsoc, A Creative, Male, 56-65, Edmonton, Retired

I don't know about the vitamin D deficiency, but I do know from previous experience that thyroid problems can absolutely mess a person up.

At the age of 10 my father turned into an absolute asshole and since being a partial asshole previously, my mother knew something was wrong.

After tolerating as much as she could, she sent him to the doctor and found out he had thyroid problems and it did take a few weeks to get him back to being a partial asshole.

- Response by wanderingroman01, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Los Angeles, Science / Engineering

Yup, it would indeed make you feel sick. For me it's vitamin B deficiency and yes, any vitamin deficiency will indeed cause you to feel ill! (that's the least of it!)

- Response by canajun, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Vancouver, Self-Employed

Yes I think your Doctor is on the right track there.!! You will need to build up your Vitamin D!!!

- Response by hands, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Hong Kong, Who Cares?

yes actually. my dad has problems with his thyroid. there's hyper and hypo. one makes you grow to be super gynormous, and the other makes you super teeny tiny. he is of the teeny tiny variety. vitamin d is needed for strong bones, teeth, skin. keeping weight down and is purported to help prevent cancer. so yes, either one alone would cause problems, but combined, will probably do all sorts of terrible things for your weight especially. it's scary sounding as hell, but if pills and meds won't work, you can always get a surgery done to stop the thyroid from going crazy. as for the vitamin D, drink a crap load of milk and stay out in the sun as much as possible between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm. when you do that, make sure to NOT use sun screen. that is the shit that's causing the melanoma and cancer... at least, that's what 5 different doctors have told me, and conspiracy theorist websites... but i digress... :-)

- Response by dudemcguy, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 36-45, Detroit, Student

In my study of physiology, I haven't begun to look into the thyroid yet. But everyone knows that vitamin deficiency, of any kind, can run you down.

- Response by thundermist04167, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 46-55, Who Cares?