Do you have to soak eggplant in salt water before you fry it?
Recipes & Food / 10:56 PM - Wednesday February 10, 2010

When I was growing my om always soaked eggplant in salt water over night and fried it the next day. Is it necessary to soak it first?

- Asked by vanhuman, The Cook, Female, 56-65

No, you do not have to soak eggplant in salt water before frying.  In fact, you should not.  Simply sprinkle it with kosher salt and let it sit for at least 20 minutes.  The salt will draw out the excess moisture of the eggplant and prepare it for frying in hot oil.  The excess moisture can make the eggplant taste bitter and is also dangerous when deep frying as liquid makes the oil bubble and splatter more. This method of salting can also be used for eggplant to be roasted or sauteed.  Click here for more tips on prepping eggplant and a delicious set of recipes too.  Best of luck to you!

- Response by ghresearchinstitute1900, A DIY Expert, Female, 36-45, New York

If you don't want it bitter, you need to soak the sliced in salt water for 20 minutes, not overnight.

I want to say the use of lemon on it will also take away the bitter taste it can have, but I don't recall. Either go to the Food Network website to check or Google "cooking eggplant".

- Response by msadvise, Female, 46-55, Transportation

I am the Eggplant Master...just sprinkle it with salt on both sides...let it sit in a colander for about a half hour and the bitterness will go away. But you do need to do that or it will be very bitter.

- Response by mrwondering11, A Creative, Male, Who Cares?, Portland, Managerial

As long as I'm not eating it, there's no difference.

- Response by chesterdad, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 56-65, San Francisco

not necessary. but salting removes the liquid from the slices which achieve two effects.
one, if the eggplant is bitter, salting will remove the bitter juices.
two, the cellular structure will collapse a little; if you are not using the eggplant in a wet preparation -- ratatouille, for example -- the texture will be improved, as it will not soak up oil or become soggy with its own liquid released during cooking.
Hope this helps.

- Response by phishstyx, A Budget-minded, Female, 46-55

Eggplants need to be salted. upto 15 mins before cooking is good.

- Response by berri, Female, 46-55, New South Wales, Who Cares?