How do you get someone to clean up after themselves?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 2:26 PM - Saturday January 23, 2010

I am temporarily subletting an apartment for a friend who is studying abroad for a year. His roommate, a self-employed sports agent, has been living in the apartment for about a year. I just moved in about 6 months ago. The agreement was the at the end of the term, my roommate will move out and I get to stay here. My roommate says he wasn't aware of this agreement and has no plans to move away.

Problem I'm having is that this roommate is extremely messy and inconsiderate. I've tried everything short of harassing him and beating him up, to get him to clean up the mess he leaves in our shared living room, bathroom, and kitchen. It often takes him a month to clean his dishes. And yet, he reprimands me for little things like turning the heater up too high or leaving lotion on the doorknob after I use it.

The original tenant says that he is in cahoots with the landlord to evict him when he returns. I feel relief about that, but still uneasy about what to do in the meantime. If I had the power, I'd kick him out. And if I weren't on a lease, I'd move out now. But we are both stuck in a situation where we have to deal with each other.

I guess the question is this: how do I make my roommate clean up after himself? I've tried putting his dirty dishes on the floor next to his desk. I've tried being assertive. I've tried asking him instead of telling him. I've even tried venting to the former tenant-who told him what I said. What is left to do besides hide in my room and vent to you guys? Thanks.

- Asked by Female, 36-45, Who Cares?

I had a roommate like this a long time ago...

Dirty whatever is gathered up and dumped on his bed. Daily, Dishes, Trash, Leftover Food... We towels etc...

Takes a very rough week, but he will get it...

- Response by siouxzen, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Self-Employed

Bag it up and put in his room. DO this daily. Eventually he will have to go through the bags to find what he wants (keep your dishes and kitchen items in your room, locked......)

He sounds like perhaps Mommy always took care of him and he never evolved.....to a man.

- Response by iowaczechartist, Female, 36-45

My stepson left dirty dishes in the sink one too many times.

One night, he came home late and found them ON his bed.

He did not say a word and never ever did it again.

- Response by myndseye711, Female, 29-35, Vladivostok, Celebrity

You can't make someone do something they don't want to do. If it bothers you that much, just clean up until they kick him out. But, if that doesn't work out, just move out upon lease's end.

- Response by thelovedovefor1, Female, 46-55, Atlanta, Who Cares?