Thank you for your many years of support. We want to share the news with you that after much consideration, will cease operations in its present format on October 15th. We appreciate your meaningful contributions over the years.
Back to Home

Active Questions

Can adult children sue their parents?
Random & Fun / 12:03 AM - Tuesday January 12, 2010

Can adult children sue their parents?

My sister has 2 sons ages 27 and 31. The 31 yr. old is mariied, has a career and a family. The younger one is out of college, single and works. My sister raised her boys as a single Mom. Their Dad never paid child support and my sister worked 2 jobs to put the boys through school. She never remarried and has supported herself for 18 years. The boys Dad had addiction problems and is in poor health. The boys grandmother passed away and left the Dad $20,000. The state took that money and gave it to my sister towards the money he owed for child support. He still owes more, the $20,000 did not cover the arrears. My sister is worried that the boys will try and sue her for the money.They do not know the state gave it to her. They do not need it but she does. She has been poor all her life and has worked hard to raise the boys without any outside support. Any legal eagles out there with advice?

Update: January 13, 2010.
She decided to split the money 3 ways and give each boy their share. She told me today that she felt it was the right thing to do. If she had not had them, she would have never received child support. She had several sleepless nights worried about it and not she can sleep at night knowing she did the fair thing. I hope they appreciate all she has done for them. The Lord never gives us more than we can handle. I hope they follow her example and they take care of her when she needs them.

- Asked by Female, Who Cares?

Read more about the Rating System

The state paid the money to her for back child support period, end of story. She supported them during the time the child support was not paid, what is there to sue for?

- Response by 2jacksam, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 66 or older, Denver, Self-Employed

Rating Received:

They'd lose. If anybody, they need to start with suing the state first. The grandmother left the money to the dad.....not the boys

- Response by joeblow1234, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Whitehorse, Artist / Musician / Writer

Rating Received:

I'm no legal eagle, but it seems to me, the the money should go to your sister to pay back some of the father's part of raising these boys...which she did find a way to do herself.

In all fairness...her sons should realize that themselves, and be happy that mom's getting a break. They are in a place to do well for themselves...thanks to her.

it bothers me that you're asking this, and that the mom is worried... Do these sons have entitlement issues? If so, they got it from somewhere. :(

- Response by mamom04, Female, 56-65, Phoenix

Rating Received:

It is the opinion of many state courts that the arrears money is inviolate. It cannot have a lien placed against it. However, it is still in debate in most places to what extent it is actually protected. If the state collected it and disbursed it, she is pretty well protected and need only go to her District Attorney if anyone places a claim against it.

Just remember, you got that advice here on A/O, which means it could be valueless unless you see your own attorney. rek

- Response by rekkonball, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Retired

Rating Received: