When cooking with fresh herbs and it calls for a sprig how much is a sprig? Female 53 Homemaker Mt
Recipes & Food / 5:09 PM - Saturday December 26, 2009

when cooking with fresh herbs and it calls for a sprig how much is a sprig? Female 53 Homemaker Mt

I am making a paste for a ribeye roast and the recipe is calling for rosemary sprig and thyme sprig. I am used to using dried herbs so don't know how much a sprig is, how much of the roasmary twig to use. Also i am having to use dried thyme leaves and the recipe calls for sprigs of fresh thyme so how much of the dried leaves equals 1 sprig. thanks so much

I would think 1 tsp of the dried herbs, thats what i do...

- Response by spitfire815, Female, 66 or older, Who Cares?

A "sprig" is a "sprig" and usually when it is called for, it is used as a "garnish" and not as a herb added to a sauce.

Anyway, what is on a sprig can vary from 1 to 2 teaspoons, yet won't give the same effect as a fresh sprig.

I am surprise your "paste" calls for sprigs as both thyme and rosemary leaves, which are stiff and hard, don't crush-up especially when fresh. Hope this helps.

- Response by msadvise, Female, 46-55, Transportation