Back to Active Questions

What can I use to remove tomato sauce/speghetti sauce stains from plasticware & sink mats?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 3:59 PM - Monday December 21, 2009

What removes the stains best? Bleach &/or vinegar?

Plastic is meant to be tossed not saved...If you soak stains not let them stay on things you will have better luck. Soak them in mild soapy water and wipe them clean..Spaghetti sauce rarely is a stain that doesn't come out. Rosey

- Response by roseytalks, Female, Who Cares?, Tampa, Who Cares?

My wife.

Seriously, I took leftover chicken and eggplant parm on fusilli in a tupperwear and microwaved it last week. It ahd that ring at sauce level when I was done. I gave it to my wife and presto, today I had the same container with left over lasagna, no ring!

- Response by sammann, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 36-45, Self-Employed

Wash the grease off first with dish detergent, then spray with straight bleach and let set in the sink for about 10-20 minutes. It will lighten the stains if not remove them completely. I have plastic microwave plates I do this with routinely and the stains come out.

- Response by Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

I put stuff with tomato-sauce stains in the dishwasher to remove stains, so I would guess chlorine bleach would do the trick. Make a solution of 1 part bleach to 4 parts water and apply, or soak the items in it until the stains are gone. Rinse well.

- Response by pamiejune77, A DIY Expert, Female, 56-65, Therapist