At what age to leave teenagers home alone for the weekend?
Family & Relationships / 10:29 PM - Thursday December 17, 2009

Do you think it would be reasonable to leave a 17 year old teenager home alone for the weekend?

- Asked by ghpooh, The Cook, Female, 46-55

When they make enough money to replace all the broken sh*t that their friends break when they invite college men over to the innocent party your kid is having...Yep...happened down the street the Mom/Dad left 17yr old son.. he called a few friends who called a few friends who called some college guys who evidently called the road house... The house at the end of the cul de sac looked like the Double Duece in "Road House" the Patrick Swayze movie...Yeah even good kids get stupid....

- Response by lady4u, The Cook, Female, 56-65, Cincinnati, Who Cares?

yeah................... ....sure. Just let me ask one question? are they popular and do they like to have fun?

- Response by kmf1, Female, 46-55, Minneapolis, Who Cares?

As soon as you can handle the likelihood that they will be up to no good.

- Response by pandorasfault, Female, 46-55, Teaching

i think it is not responsible becuse when i was 17 all kind of boys came to my house without my mom knowin im 18 now with a baby but...it all depends on if you trust your child or not

- Response by mistymen56, A Single Gal, Female, 22-25

Yes.

As long as he or she has proven themselves to be trustworthy in general, I see nothing wrong with that. It teaches responsibility. I was left alone often at that age.

- Response by piscesrising, Female, Who Cares?, Boston, Internet / New Media

First off ask yourself this: How well do I know my child? Cause after you answer that and have some answers that don't make your hair stand on end or you ending up on the ceiling with thinking about leaving your kid at home, then I would say it is a safe bet to leave them at home alone. But keep in mind though that even the best kid could get a little liberal with total freedom for the weekend, so be a good idea to have any trusted neighbors or friends to stop over or call every so often to make sure your house is still in one piece, no random strangers are coming by, and most definitely no wild parties are going down where the cops are being called.

- Response by CursedRomantic, Female, 26-28, Columbus, Student

It depends on the kid. At 17 you could leave me at home alone and not have to worry about me having a party. My way of thinking was I didn't want to have to clean up after all my friends and get yelled at b/c shit got broken. If I wanted to party I would just go somewhere else. I wasn't much of a partier anyways. I smoked pot a couple times but I never drank til I was 20. My sister thought like I did. My brother on the other hand,he was quick to throw a party. I had to help him clean up after one once. I didn't feel like listening to my mom scream about it for days! Someone stole all my CD's too. I was pissed.

- Response by misskitty420, Female, 29-35, Student

it depends on ur teenager... you should mention it nd see how he/she reacts and to see if u trust 'em enough to do it...not every teenager will throw a party or have "fun time" or just let her stay home alone and let a neighbor look there every once in a while-dnt tell your child that. LUCK!

- Response by eca3, Female, 18-21, Student

when i was 12 i was being left home alone...when i was 14 i was being left home alone for weekends.....its not a big deal

- Response by bhottl, Female, 22-25, Philadelphia, Student