Sometimes my dough is too crumbly and is hard to roll out
Recipes & Food / 8:24 PM - Wednesday December 09, 2009

- Asked by cookiegranny, A New Mom, Female, 46-55

It doesn't have enough moisture in it.

Increase the fat (oil, shortening, butter, whatever) slightly. Make sure you're not picking up too much flour when you re-roll then next section.

- Response by buffalothighs88, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

Dough is sensitive to humidity. So you might use the same exact recipe throughout the year and find it is just fine sometimes and then when it's dry it will need more fluid/fat or in the summer you might need to omit some. I've been taught that no matter what time of the year you reserve some of the fluid and add some until the dough is the right consistency for rolling. This applies to everything from pizza dough to cookie dough.

- Response by joybird, A Budget-minded, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

What kind of dough? There are different answers for different doughs.

Pie Dough...add more ice cold water.

Cookie Dough...More FAT! I would suggest a new recipe for that, because you can't tweak a cookie dough like you can a pie dough.

Bread dough? More water.

- Response by greenolive, Female, 26-28, Hospitality

Add a little more liquid. Small amounts at a time.

- Response by barbb, Female, Who Cares?, Other Profession

You need to make sure that your dough is semi-moist, and pliable enough before you roll it out. Also put alittle flour on your working surface (cutting board and/or granite surface. Take your dough and knead it alittle not too much, that is what is making it crumbly. U should get better results next time.

- Response by javajive5, The Cook, Female, 56-65