What is an appropriate Christmas gift for someone you just started dating?
Random & Fun / 4:00 PM - Wednesday December 02, 2009

what is an appropriate Christmas gift for someone you just started dating?

Been dating only 3 wks, both only seeing each other. Now is it's Christmas and he keeps talking of getting me some nice gifts. I don't really know his tastes or sizes and I can't really afford much this year. I am really limiting the people I gift to, help!

How about a nice Christmas CD

- Response by seasons4, An Retiree, Female, 46-55, Financial / Banking

If you bake, I bet he would love that. If not, give him some "cash in" cards. One can say "Good for a walk in the park with me", or "Dinner at my place"...or "Back rub"..you get the idea. No money involved but a great way to show you still want to see him.

- Response by livestolaugh, Female, 56-65, Managerial

If this'll help, don't get me anything more than an inexpensive sweater, 'K?

- Response by joeblow1234, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Whitehorse, Artist / Musician / Writer

If it were me I would just tell him not to get u anything cuz u dont have any or much money to buy him anything,; this way he wont be expecting anything ( and will prob say that was okay and still get u something) then just get him a card and something small, like a box of chocolates, baked cookies, a few lotto tickets in his card, or something like that.

- Response by Female, 29-35, Medical / Dental

If he can figure out nice gifts for you but you can't figure out a nice gift for him, then you need to pay more attention in dating.

- Response by jjcabin, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Washington, DC, Technical

It is improper etiquette for you to accept any gift from a gentleman whom you are not engaged.

It is improper etiquette for you to GIVE any gift to a gentleman whom you are not engaged.

Just tell him you would prefer you do not exchange gifts this holiday season.

Or the rule in my house -- if you don't make it -- you can't give it.

- Response by utahmom, Female, 56-65, Managerial

Does he like reading?
Find a good book. It could be something historical, a play, about art, or even a comic book that he loved as a kid.
A book shows you like his intellectual side and it's something he can enjoy for a long time.

- Response by kwyetgurl, A Single Gal, Female, 22-25

If you've been dating for three weeks, it is inappropriate for him to get you a gift. I would tell him just that.

YOU can't afford it, and he will certainly expect something in return. Tell him that you'd rather not exchange. That's what I would do.

- Response by myndseye711, A New Mom, Female, 29-35