Back to Active Questions

Who pays for a birthday dinner?
Random & Fun / 12:24 AM - Wednesday December 02, 2009

Who pays for a birthday dinner?

My birthday is coming up and I'd love to go out for dinner with a few of my friends. I get invited out to lots of birthday dinners by the birthday person and most often, all of the guests end up splitting the bill. That seems to be the norm.

However, the way I was raised, if I invite my friends out to dinner to celebrate my birthday, then I'm the host and they're my guests and therefore, I should be paying. I wouldn't feel right inviting them out and then asking them to all pay, but I also can't afford to pay for dinner for 10 people.

What's the proper etiquette in this case?

If YOU invite...YOU pay. If THEY invite, THEY pay. Simple as that sweetie.

- Response by zinerva, Female, 36-45, Dallas

invite everyone to come celebrate your birthday with you and tell them the only gift they need is to buy their own dinner and spend time with you.

if one person in the group has class, they'll all chip in to pay for yours, too.

- Response by dawsonmckay, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, Phoenix, Artist / Musician / Writer

Why not have a potluck at your place?? You would be more comfy, play games and talk all you want without having to worry about watching your clock...

Even though there would be 2 feet of snow in January for mine, I love to treat myself and grill out---I love steak!!

- Response by iowaczechartist, Female, 36-45

Ask them if they'd like to go out for some drinks to celebrate your Birthday at a bar/ restaurant. Then they'll buy you drinks & can pay for their own food if they're hungry.

- Response by Female, 29-35

I like Iowa's answer, but you could also prepare a meal to share with them.
I made a big lasagne dinner for my 22nd birthday and had my friends over. (I had to make up for a really crappy 21st)
This way you spend a bit of money but with careful planning you can have a nice meal without a lot of money.
Another suggestion, but possibly not necessarily for a birthday, is to hire a personal chef to come in and everyone pitches in to pay. You get a fabulous meal and if you all split it, you should not spend a whole lot more than you would spend at a nicer restaurant. Then you can provide your own liquor, stay at home having a good time and not worry about being too noisy in a restaurant.

- Response by cakelady, Female, 46-55, Denver, Food Service