I weight 500 lbs w/ bad knees that I can't get down on. what exercises can I start with?
Weight & Wellness / 4:10 PM - Friday November 13, 2009

I have done my research and belly fat is the most deadly. I'm needing to find some exercises and some recipe Ideas to help me start to loose weight ASAP! I'm soo ready to start living. Help Please

- Asked by The Cook, Female, 36-45

Start with walking every day start with just a little and keep adding as you go along.
Good Luck

- Response by seasons4, An Retiree, Female, 46-55, Financial / Banking

At 500 lbs you need professional help. Contact your Doctor. Rosey

- Response by roseytalks, Female, Who Cares?, Tampa, Who Cares?

Diet to get the weight down. That is the most important thing
right now.
For exercise lift weights, walk.
Good luck!

- Response by octopussy, Female, 29-35

Get some richard simmons tapes.It is designed to do even if you are in a wheel chair.Start to walk even if it small to start out with.You deserve to live.

- Response by frenchkiss49, Female, 56-65, Tampa, Who Cares?

Lots of walking! Also you may find onehundredpushups.com and its sister sites on squats and sit ups helpful. Those exercises may not be what's best for you, however when you do find something that feels right for you to do those sites have daily plans to up your game.

And as always, talk to your doctor.

I wish you all the luck in the world!

- Response by ddegon, Female, 29-35, Washington, DC

Try swimming and water aerobics - great exercise and easy on the joints too.

- Response by uniquelyme2, Female, 46-55, Artist / Musician / Writer

Please go to a doctor. People here are telling you to do various exercises, but at your advanced weight, they could very well kill or cripple you. You need professional help - someone who can assess your TOTAL health needs. Please do that for yourself.

And good for you - your desire to change is a HUGE first step. Good luck.

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

Because you are not trying to lose a mere 20-40 pounds, I would suggest that you go to a physician. Your weight has most likely caused health issues that you may not be aware of. "Dieting" is something that has to be approached in a manner so that you do not "starve" your body (it's vital organs). Only a doctor will be able to guide you safely. Jumping up and expecting your heart to withstand the "work" of pumping blood after heavy exercise "could" actually cause you to have a coronary. Please schedule an appointment with a doctor. Your weight won't just "fall off" and needs to be monitored so that you don't experience lower blood sugar, or over work your heart. Unfortunately your weight gain has probably also caused your heart to become "enlarged." So please take your "health" as serious as the "diet" and seek the help of a qualified professional. Not just a "trainer." They do not have the same education and are unaware of the human body concerning how all it's systems work and could actually hurt you with some kind of crash diet and excessive exercise routine. I re-iterate... please see a physician and lose the weight under careful monitoring with a diet that is specifically designed for you and your body's whole health and not just a number on a scale. :)

- Response by txsewbunny101, Female, 46-55, Student

maybe you should start by going to the doctor to see what exercises are safe for you to do. Also, you should get a nutrionist and/or a dietian (sp). All three can get you to a healthier weight. You should start with light cardio (at least 3 times a week) and work your way up. You should do muscle resistance and strength training.

- Response by poeticlove08, Female, 22-25, Student

Try doing some stretches and going on light, brisk walks.

Good luck, and keep trying to get healthy.

- Response by Female, 26-28

Hi,

I am an aerobics instructor and work with these sort of question regularly.

First and most important, don't start too quickly too hard, pace yourself and gradually up your fitness level.

I would start with about 30 - 45min of brisk walking 3x per week ending it off with 15min abs.

Because you say you've got weak knees I would also advise on getting proper trainers, go to a good trainer shop and ask someone to assist you in getting the correct shoes.

Try and walk lightly on the soles of the feet and don't slam the leg down, take it easy and after about 3x weeks you can up your pace.

Remember Rome wasn't built in a day!

Drink plenty of water and warm up before every workout and stretch afterward for about 20min.

You can add a slosh of lime or lemon to your water, this will help the fatty parts in food break down easier. Also eat alot of fruit and veg, 5 portions of each per day. Try and eat 6x times a day but small portions.

The more and longer you exercise the fitter you will get and can up your workout regime from there but remember that your diet takes up 70% of weight loss and health the other 30% is exercise.

Hope I could help a little bit.

Anika

- Response by afood, Female, 29-35

I weighed 326 five years ago. I lost 187 lbs. I had bypass surgery. I'm not recomending it but it is an option open to you. I'm 64 and I tried so hard and so long to lose my weight and for health reason I choose this. I've maintained my current weight for all these years. Hang in there, one way or other you can lose it and have a life again.

- Response by grandmadonna1, Female, 66 or older

All your choices are determined by what you can afford. Walking is absolutely your best, cheapest choice for exercise. Start with a little and add to it as you are able. Never push too far. If you can, water aerobics would be great. Look around to see if there's a YMCA near you that offers that sort of thing. That give you some great exercise without stressing your knees too much. And, if you run out of steam, you can just get out of the pool.

As an older fat person, I really distrust a lot of "diet" advice. See how much you currently eat, in terms of calories. If you're well over ... oh, say 2000? ... then cutting down on the quantity of food would help. Definitely drop sugary sodas if you're drinking them. Teas and sparkling water can help give you some flavor if you can't stand plain water. Personally, I try not to use sugar or artificial sweetners in my drinks. But, 1/2-2 spoons of sugar in a glass of iced tea or a cup of coffee is much less than any regular sugared soda. Reducing baked goods and desserts can help.

If you can afford it, or if there's a low-cost clinic in your area, professional help would probably be a good idea. You might also try Sparkpeople -- I think that's .com.

One problem for you is that at 500 lbs your metabolism is most likely very, very messed up. I know 2 fat women who can gain weight on the Weight Watchers diet because it makes their metabolism go into "famine" mode.

So, walk or swim, eat healthier and/or less if that's possible. Get professional advice if you can afford it.

- Response by dryad2b, Female, 56-65