Back to Active Questions

How do you get fishy smell out of clothes?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 7:02 PM - Friday November 06, 2009

I am newly married to a commercial fisherman, he is gone 6 months a year, and even though he washes his clothes while he is gone there is still a strong, fish smell on his work clothes. I wash them before packing them away on the boat for next season, but I can not get that smell out. I have tried suggestions from other wives like wash with baking soda, vinegar, and even a can of coca cola, none of which helps. When I use these the smell seems to disappear, but as soon as I dry the clothes it is as strong as ever. Please help!

- Asked by feelinfroggy3174, A Stay-at-Home Mom, Female, 36-45, Home Maker

Hon...seriously. I think you better get used to it. With your man's profession, I don't think there's any way you're ever gonna get those togs spring-time fresh again.

- Response by justpassingthru, Female, 56-65, Financial / Banking

Try a scoop of Oxy Clean in with your laundry detergent. It neutralizes stains and odors. I've read it's even capable of removing skunk odor! Good luck to you!

- Response by majicou, Female, Who Cares?

Have your tried color safe bleach, if not, try, you might be able to get rid of the smell. The only other choice is to have a separate set of clothing for fishing, which can be placed in a separatete bag after they are washed and dried, to be used for the next season. this seems to be an easeir solution. You will have to store these in the garage or a store room in plastic container boxes.

- Response by fem09, The Cook, Female, 46-55, Home Maker

When I worked in a deli my clothes stunk like fried chicken,which maybe sounds not so bad, but it was disgusting,that old icky grease smell. I found washing with bakingsoda helps, and to wash them several times, the more they're washed the more the smell goes away. Try airig them out on a clothes line too.

- Response by raviolimom, A Stay-at-Home Mom, Female, 26-28

A friend of mine worked at a fish market,he said to use lemon juice,in your wash and that would stop the smell.hope this helps,have a good evening.

- Response by memaw58, Female, 46-55, Home Maker