Why does my iron have black stuff on the soleplate?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 7:24 PM - Saturday October 17, 2009

I have used Faultless Iron Cleaner which does clean the soleplate, but I want to know the cause. This has been a recent problem with no change in my laundry products or unusual items ironed. (ie: no fusible interfacing.)

I am guessing that you have HARD WATER. And, that can present any number of things that DO BURN on the bottom of your iron: Minerals like calcium, iron, rust or lime. To clean if off:

Try cleaning the bottom with coarse sand, put into a large container like an aluminum turkey pan about 1 inch deep, turn the iron on the highest setting and "iron" the sand with good pressure DO NOT lift the iron up on end keep it flat as so no sand can get into the steam vents on the bottom. After words soak a hand towel in vinegar and wring out. Put protective covering on the iron board and on high heat once again iron until dry this will remove any left over build up etc.

- Response by randyl, Female, 46-55, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

Someone from up above told me in a vision that these were your black hearted sins coming to life. LMAO

Not really....it has something to do with the water you are using in it. Some irons only use distilled water.

- Response by joybird, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

You're right, Faultless Iron Cleaner will generally take care of this problem, in your case, I'd probably just buy a new iron ( you can get them for like $15. these days) and I'd be sure to put only distilled water in it. And if you are like me, and use the liquid starch, put that in during the last rinse cycle, don't use that spray-on stuff, either, it's not as good. The clothing should be rinsed out sufficiently and, once dried, there won't be a lot of residue on it, but enough to hold a crease without tearing up your iron.

- Response by tortureu2, Female, 36-45, Other Profession