Could you live on 14 dollars an hour?
Random & Fun / 7:58 PM - Friday October 16, 2009

Could you live on 14 dollars an hour?

That is what I make and I can survive with 32 hours a week but it can still be a struggle. I have been very blessed that I live in a subsidized appartment and my car is all paid for, plus I don't have any children to care for.
Would you be able to live on that?

I made 100 dollars this week in profit after paying bills, gas money, food costs, and sending some money up the way in case my s/o needs some.

I think I could manage but I would definitely be looking into getting a better job in the future. I wouldn't settle for the job.

- Response by desota18, A Creative, Male, 22-25, Self-Employed

No, I couldnt. real estate taxes are $7.000.00 a yr. and utilities very high. with all expenses I have not including mortgage No way. so u are doing well. have no idea what subsidized housing cost. congrats and good luck

- Response by dreamspinner, Female, Who Cares?, Chicago

No way.

Day care is $225 a week alone for me. New Jersey is an expensive place to live.

- Response by myndseye711, Female, 29-35, Bilbao, Celebrity

Yes.

- Response by llafsroh, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Boston, Science / Engineering

I think I could.

- Response by buffalothighs88, Female, 56-65, Other Profession

Now that I'm renting I could. Sacrifices need to be made sometimes. One can get used to living with less and appreciating what they do have.

- Response by italiangypsy, Female, Who Cares?, Philadelphia, Other Profession

Yes I could.

- Response by lolabuu, Female, 29-35, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

LOL! I raised two kids by myself on $4,000 a year. ;p

- Response by twocents47, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

Yes, absolutely. We couldnt keep up lavish lifestyles we have become used to but $14hr is very workable.

- Response by singledad281, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 46-55, Houston, Hospitality

I do that already.

- Response by guy506, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Houston, Other Profession

ha .. i jus calculated that this is equal to about 4976.00 in my currency EC .. qualified teachers dont even make that much money .. thats about what my mom makes (less actually) and shes a qualified nurse .. has been for almost 30 years ... u ppl have it great

- Response by mesmerized256, Female, 22-25, Who Cares?

yes but only if I get a good amount of hrs. My place of work cut everybodys hrs/ let a few go. ca n`t survive on that .

- Response by rantingmadman, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, Transportation

i live on 12 dollars a hour and i have two children to take care of. it is not always easy but you have to do what you have to make it work.

- Response by kristina0806, Female, 29-35, Technical

I am working part-time and going to school full-time and being a single parent, it can be hard to make ends meet but I have lived on less than that for a couple of years and I don't know how the hell I did it, but I did and it was 'tight' but I am actually pretty proud of the fact that it taught me to shop 'consciously' and to always find ways to save...:D

- Response by fastball, Female, 36-45, Edmonton, Self-Employed

Ah yes! I make $12.36 an hour and I live on my own with my own rent, car insurance and cell phone bill. At $14 an hour, I'd be living the high life!

- Response by ashmcawesome, Female, 29-35

I could not but a lot in our area are living on seven a hour as that is about all their is

- Response by bigcurt, A Mr. Nice Guy, Male, 56-65, Pittsburgh, Self-Employed

I could do it with less but 14, definitely. Some people are just terribly irresponsible with their money is all. They look at $14 like its $40 and find themselves getting hounded by creditors soon after. I'm glad you're doing well with your lot. Peace. :)

- Response by mortaune, A Guy Critical, Male, 29-35, Student

In my city, tons of people would be thrilled to make $14/hr. I know a lot who think $12/hr is good pay. It just depends on your city and what the "cost of living" is there.
Anyone could live on much LESS than $14/hr, if they're willing to change their lifestyle (live with roommates, eat out only rarely and avoid buying expensive processed foods, etc.)

- Response by Female, 29-35

I live on 16.00 and hour and I tell you it's not easy here in the northeast. Yes if I didn't have a child, my money would go a great deal further. Movies from the library, more homecooked meals, and all of that. I wish I could ride my bike to work. I do some freelance work and that helps pay for groceries sometimes for a whole week. Otherwise, I just slave away and wish I could earn more money.

- Response by graziella, Female, 46-55, Philadelphia, Artist / Musician / Writer

I could probably make it on 14.00 per hour as long as someone else was working for more and paying part of my rent. Socialism is great until other people's money runs out.

- Response by hnimsoc, A Creative, Male, 56-65, Edmonton, Retired

rent is too high everywhere...

- Response by osieboo, Female, 56-65

yeah i could and i have before. If u are able to budget and live not beyond your means u can make it

- Response by phenomenal1woman, Female, 46-55, Chicago

I do that now, but it isn't as difficult in the South as it is in some areas.

$30,000 a year is middle class down here. That's barely out of poverty in New York City or California.

- Response by chessplayer, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Administrative

No kids-no car payment-fixed rent...yes I could live on that and even have some left over, but then again I live in NC. If you live out on the west coast, north, or even in a large city...I could imagine that might be more difficult.

- Response by crosseagle72, A Guy Critical, Male, 36-45, Who Cares?

i could survive on 14 dollars but i couldn't live

- Response by 191o191, A Creative, Male, 29-35, Managerial

We do it for 12 an hour. Me my husband my two children. Its hard sometimes but as long as my husband gets his 40 hours we are ok.

- Response by Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

yes i could. as of now im only making 8.50. i live in a rented room at 100 a week.... yes i could.........

- Response by taylorsmom, Female, 36-45, Providence, Food Service

as you are obviously experiencing, one can live on 14$ an hour. HOWEVER, this is not an ideal life. you probably have no extra cash to go on a vacation, or to spend on luxury items etc. plus what if something unexpected happens? you get into a car accident, or the apartment u live in catches fire. sure you might be able to afford the clean up mess, but it will leave you quite empty handed. strive for something more than the average 14$ an hour wage.

- Response by ilovextc, A Rebel, Male, 22-25, Toronto, Student

Yes, we do it all the time. No, it is not easy but you learn to how to manage things in a different manner. I still have the nice things that I want.

- Response by bearly47, Female, 46-55, Who Cares?

When I was in grad school, I survived on $450 a month after taxes; this was back in 1993. What does that work out to today, $800?

Anyway, I could survive on $14 an hour if I had to BUT I would definitely try to find ways to earn extra ... the key to surviving on minimal funds is to have a budget and account for every dollar.

- Response by curvysmartgirl, Female, 36-45, Dallas, Artist / Musician / Writer

Yes, I would. This is gonna depend alot on where people live.

- Response by laceylibra, Female, 56-65, Medical / Dental

I guess it all depends on where you live. I'm in Western NY (around Buffalo), and $14/hr is alot here! I'd kill for that! I'm unemployed right now, and I need at least $13/hr to get by. I don't know how people with kids live on less than that, but somehow, they do. And believe me, I don't live the high life! I rarely go out, don't have cable, and my cell phone is my only phone (which I'm getting for a steal through family who works for the company). You learn how to cut back, but, there are some expenses you just can't avoid. I've actually found that it's harder for a single person who doesn't have kids to get any type of government assistance. But, if I have kids, I'd probably be set!

- Response by wende13, Female, 36-45, Buffalo, Administrative