How do I get rid of little flying bugs in my house?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 3:59 PM - Thursday October 08, 2009

I went on vacation the first week in October and before I left I rinsed the breakfast dishes and left them in the sink unwashed. When I came home, I now have little flying insects in my house. They are not flies or fleas - I do not have pets. I poured clorox down all my drains and I still have them. They are about 1/8" long.

Update: October 08, 2009.
THANK YOU ALL!!! Well, I just went to three stores and finally Walmart had the sticky gooey fly strips. I opened 3 of them and hung them from the light over my kitchen island. Directly under them, I put a small bowl of apple cider vinegar on top of an upside down tissue box. So far I probably have 15 caught already. I really appreciate you answering my question!

They're fruit flies. Put out a saucer with some dish soap for a few days. They're attracted to the sweet smell, get stuck and die.

- Response by ddegon, Female, 29-35, Washington, DC

You have to find and eliminate the source. Also eliminate any potential breeding grounds. You'll have some stragglers for a while, but if they have nothing to eat and nowhere to breed, they'll die out.

I had meal moths last year that came in on a bad bag of bird seed. What a pain! I had to hide all of my dry goods, especially spices, in the refrigerator and keep the cabinets clean and empty. I still had stragglers as eggs in crevices hatched and hidden cocoons hatched. It took a while, but they're gone and I can use my cabinets again.

Not the same as flies, but I think the concept would be the same. Eliminate the source, and get rid of or hide potential breeding/feeding grounds until the flies disappear.

- Response by mariposa555, Female, 36-45, New York

Dont you have insect sprays where you live,?

- Response by duggers, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older