How can I get a very stubborn plug in the toilet unplugged?
Home Organizing & Cleaning / 10:22 PM - Thursday September 17, 2009

I have tried using the plunger many times, are there any home remedies?

Update: September 22, 2009.
Haven't done that for 10 years! Thanks anyway.

Update: September 17, 2009.
Hey, thanks for good suggestions. I stumbled across this, what a good find.

fibercon. LOL

- Response by joybird, A Budget-minded, Female, Who Cares?, Who Cares?

Go to your local hardware store and buy a toilet auger. It will go about six feet thru the toilet and pipe. If that does not work, you either have to call a plumber or else have someone who is handy to take the toilet off and see if something got flushed down it that should not have been.

- Response by MaryAnne, Female, 46-55, Regina, Managerial

Unfortunately, this has happened to me several times. You will have to snake it. Which means you drive a long stick of some sort to loosen the stubborn plug deep inside. I was so fed up with plunging my toilet, I eventually asked my boyfriend to help and he took a wired clothes hanger and elongated it to wiggle it around down there. It worked!

- Response by tipssy, Female, 36-45, Consulting

A cheap try that just might work........put abt 1/2 cup of dishwashing liquid down the pot....and wait couple of hours.....then try to flush it..........watch closely that it doesn't not overflow.......but the grease holding the hair and other gradoo together should be dissolved so that when you plunge it again.......it should let go.

Keep your eye on the water level...cuz if it does not start flowing free pretty soon......the bowl usually cannot hold two full flushes.

- Response by nuttyprofessor, A Guy Critical, Male, 66 or older, Transportation

There is the "snake".

This is a metal sheath, with a stiff wire down through the center of the thing. It is pretty flexible. One end has a crank or place for an electric drill. I prefer the hand crank when working in water.

The other end has some sort of screw bit or auger on it. Sometimes this is simply a bent piece of wire. You put the auger end down into the toilet and push until it gets into the trap, while you crank the other end and keep pushing.

This is supposed to break up and push the clog down the toilet drain and when you flush it will clear. If you cannot get it out with this, you are sol. The next cheapest remady is to buy a new toilet (I just got one for about $150). They are easy to put in, and plumbers charges 60 0r more per hour.

Good luck

- Response by welloone, A Mr. Married Guy, Male, 66 or older, Retired

If the snake still doesn't let you flush the toilet successfully, this is what finally did it for me. This step can also be used before the plunger in the case of a very small clog, but works well as a last step with a stubborn clog. Get a normal sized bucket and fill it between 1/8 and 1/4 of the way full with warm water. When the water in the toilet is at its lowest point (usually with clogged toilets, very little water is left in the bottom), pour the water directly into the hole-in-the-bowl from about waist-high. The pressure of the water being poured into the bowl does a surprisingly good job at disloding the remaining clog. You may need to repeat this step once or twice.

I know it sounds dumb, but it really does work.

- Response by randyl, Female, Who Cares?, Los Angeles, Who Cares?

call a plumber and don`t flush those down the toilet anymore.

- Response by rantingmadman, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, Transportation