How long would half a million dollars last you?
Dating / 3:52 AM - Monday August 31, 2009

how long would half a million dollars last you?

my ex inherited half a million dollars about 3 years ago.

how long would that last you?

currently, he's *completely* broke! (and has been for a while)

he bought 150 acres that he can't afford the taxes on. a reachfork that now has a complete flat, a large flatbed truck and a cement mixer-truck, both of which don't run. and many trailers, like a dozen or maybe more. (at least the backho runs!)

he lives in the country with no plumbing or electricity or house. he aslo bought a bunch of technology cuz he didn't want the money to 'vanish into the inflation sphere'. ...of course it's hard to keep all these gadgets out of the rain when you don't have a house.

he honestly thought he would make tiny, relatively inexpensive stone houses (kits) and ship the 4 walls & stuff to people for them to assemble, and he would now be living off the sales from that.

i'm never anyone to tell someone how to live their life, but....

COME ON!

....all dreamer, no common sense...
he's sure living life on his own terms, though!

- Asked by isotope, Female, 36-45, Science / Engineering

*Converts currency, finds it's just over £300K and goes to an estate agent's website*

Well, one bedroom flats in my area of London set one back over £200K, so that would take most of it, but at least then I wouldn't have to pay rent any more. Don't know what the hell your ex was thinking with his crazy plan.

- Response by tabbycat1, Female, 29-35, London, Internet / New Media

Perhaps the remaining years of my life, and then some.....

- Response by richard77, A Jock, Male, Who Cares?, Self-Employed

I totally see why he is an ex! Your a bright woman. That much money would still be making me money with interest in CDs or money markets etc.

- Response by shanegalang, A Rebel, Male, 46-55, Transportation

that would last me 1 day because I would use it towards buying a crappy condo and would still have to take out a mortgage to pay for the rest....

- Response by meowmeowww, Female, 29-35

oh my...im so glad that's your EX in the question...

that much money would make me more money hopefully...cause you know you would invest!!!!!!!!!!

- Response by laylayla, Female, 29-35, Who Cares?

that is why money isn't always the answer...

- Response by movi, A Guy Critical, Male, 46-55, Administrative

I could quit working and retire. Though I have a pension built up, the only thing holding me here is health insurance...and I could buy a hell of a lot of insurance with half a mil.

- Response by drumboi2, A Guy Critical, Male, 56-65

that dude is an idiot. 500 grand would last a littlr while. before or after taxes? pay off bills, buy a car or two, descent house(nothing too fancey}

put the rest in the bank

- Response by rantingmadman, A Rebel, Male, 36-45, Transportation

Most people don't know how to handle money. The most striking example of this is the majority of lottery winners are broke in 5-10 yrs. They think money will solve all their problems but it just causes new ones. It is their life style and mental modelsthat are keeping people down.

As for the ex he tried something and failed, but he did try. He can sell the land/ equipment and get something.

- Response by jjcabin, An Intellectual Guy, Male, 36-45, Washington, DC, Technical

well I can see on the horizon that this will lead to a serious bust up... finance is one of the main situations of splitting up, if your ambitious you will probably find someone that is just as enthusiastic, if the truth known your current boyfriend probably admires you ways and see you as his rock, it's sad for anyone to have a broken heart, but if he dont ammend his ways as it's obvious you want to have a family... it will lead to you departing from him

- Response by ricardojazz, A Creative, Male, 46-55, Self-Employed